cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interactive Nat Forest map -- very useful!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've probably already seen this, but if not, it is a great resource for boondocking. You can zoom in pretty far and see the individual forest roads, in most places. Then, you can download the corresponding Motor Vehicle Use Map from the local ranger districts to see where dispersed camping is permitted.

I use this map from time to time, but it seems to me that they must have recently upgraded their server or something -- the zooming and panning is a lot easier than it was just a few months ago, I think.

Anyway, here's the link:

The map
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
10 REPLIES 10

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I wish the BLM would publish the equivalent.

Thanks for the link, as I was not aware of it. I was able to convert their map to a Geo-Pdf, and use that in the Avenza Maps app.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately, there is no way to mark locations -- I open the forest service map and Google Earth and then drop waypoints on Google Earth to correspond to the other map. Very tedious.

And then I cross-check against the Motor Vehicle Use Maps. Also a lot of work.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
An improvement for sure and has brief description of campground. Doesnโ€™t show my location however as Forest Maps app does. I need that when I get off on those little dirt roads.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
How long has that map been available? I love it. I have forwarded that site to my two daughters that camp.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice. Thanks

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Very useful and informative map.

I did the survey asking that it would be nice if there was a layer they could add that showed current fire restrictions. Currently, they only have a fire activity layer and a few other unrelated layers..
I love me some land yachting

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Does appear to be improved. Found a road in the Parashant that I didn't know was there. Have to go see if it's real now --. On the other hand, no way to mark locations? Or did I miss that?
Cal

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks for sharing this specially for me who prefer national park/forest and state parks for my camping.

I've used their site-specific maps but yours actually zoom in and out for a look on total US, state and down to locale.

Appreciate it and in fact pinning this down.

You are now officially my best RV forum/camping friend.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Had never seen this map! Thanks for sharing!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge