Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is your S&B the Land of Hard Work?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else feel like this?

Part of me looks forward to returning to my S&B in the spring, seeing family and friends, working in the garden, having room to spread out... But doing a year worth of upkeep in a few months is exhausting!

Plus there are always extra projects -- this year, a new van build, and a new roof and paint for the S&B. I am making myself crazy with all this.

I can see why people often snowbird for a few years and then decide to sell the S&B. But I don't want to do that. Something's gotta give, though.

Want to commiserate? Share your story?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
17 REPLIES 17

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
We downsized 3 years ago to a townhouse in an adult complex where everything is maintained except for the garden beside the driveway if you want to do that yourself. RV is parked in a special area in the back. Better half is not interested in full timing. We'll try snowbirding for first time this year. Will see how it goes. Don't miss the yard work on a large multilevel terraced yard, that's for sure. Like the idea of a permanent summer place to park and live in the RV in the country but ... maybe, in an alternate future.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not going to sell my S&B. It is a family home, and no one else in the family is ready for it right now. But I sometimes think about renting it out long term. I love it, though.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:

We are looking for an area where we can buy, preferably a site where a commercial or maybe a home (mobile or otherwise ) used to be. Fire or whatever as long as there are grandfathered well and septic and we like the area. The plan then is to have a metal building put up with a single bathroom, building to be big enough to put the TT in and still have an area about 15' x 35-40' along one side to build in an apt. We can live in the TT there if we wish or something more permanent and have minimal maint.

Oh, I love this idea! Great way to get around RV parking ordinances, sun damage, have a covered area outside your door, etc. If I did this I would make the wall/s next to the RV mostly windows, so the trailer would have daylight inside.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:

We live in the south and spend our summers up North. Last year we came home to a non-functioning downstairs A/C (we turned it off, leave upstairs set to 85) and after a few hours being home we discovered a blockage in the sewer system.

If our home ever became that much work, we'd move.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just another reason we went fulltime 14 years ago. After home ownership from 1969-2003 I was not going to be held hostage to a house! Weed, feed, mow, makes absolutely no sense to me other than to help keep Scott's in business. And I could go on and on.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Naio
I cant believe I'm reading this as it sounds exactly like me last night. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm getting to the point that I cant lift heavy stuff or pull real hard on wrenches etc. I have spinal stenosis and had epidural injections along with meloxicam as needed. After running a couple tanks of fuel through the chain saw I came in and told my wife I'm all washed up and it's coming to an end. So much stuff to deal with and every summer has tons of work. I love being out in the desert in my FW. DW wants everything to stay the same but it aint gunna happen.

We are looking for an area where we can buy, preferably a site where a commercial or maybe a home (mobile or otherwise ) used to be. Fire or whatever as long as there are grandfathered well and septic and we like the area. The plan then is to have a metal building put up with a single bathroom, building to be big enough to put the TT in and still have an area about 15' x 35-40' along one side to build in an apt. We can live in the TT there if we wish or something more permanent and have minimal maint.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We are similar to Rocmoc. We take multiple trips instead of one long one. I also, do not start or plan big projects that I cannot stop and come back to 1-2 months later.

We travel overseas for a month or so summer and winter. Rv travel is in spring and fall. I have RV and house projects but the only ones with a time line requirement are the ones to keep the RV on the road or fix something in the house that could cause problems while we are gone.

Sounds like you need to stay at home and get the house set up so that you can leave it for months without anything needing repair when you get back.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Naio
I cant believe I'm reading this as it sounds exactly like me last night. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm getting to the point that I cant lift heavy stuff or pull real hard on wrenches etc. I have spinal stenosis and had epidural injections along with meloxicam as needed. After running a couple tanks of fuel through the chain saw I came in and told my wife I'm all washed up and it's coming to an end. So much stuff to deal with and every summer has tons of work. I love being out in the desert in my FW. DW wants everything to stay the same but it aint gunna happen.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:

I can see why people often snowbird for a few years and then decide to sell the S&B. But I don't want to do that. Something's gotta give, though.

Is the road calling you? :W
The things you said you liked can largely be done without home maintenance. Family and friends are still there even if you stay in the van. The road still leads back there any time you want it to.
I think your tires are starting to itch.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Besides enjoying campin' with our rig, I still enjoy my hobbies. My workshop at home is one of those hobbies. Don't want to give that up.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:

The condo idea sounds great - but then we would need to store our trip mobiles off site. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Last winter we moved from a very rural part of NEPA to Lancaster County. Whole different world, where houses sell in days, frequently above list, and acreage is for farmers and wealthy folks. We started the search with on site motorhome storage being non-negotiable. Eight months later. we bought a detached single family in a town where it is close to impossible to keep RVs at home, due to ingeniously well written ordinances. I though I would hate having to store the RV elsewhere, but I have changed my mind. It's actually pretty nice to not have to look at the giant whale of the class A in the driveway or yard, and from a security standpoint, we don't advertise, "look, we are gone!" when the rig is not here. The other point is that, in areas where we could of created storage at home, it would of been $5K+ for permits, a new paved drive, fencing etc.... I found a great spot for $50 a month, and it's worked well. Certainly not acceptable for many RV owners, but I'm surprised how well it has worked for us.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Condo is the way to go. Dumped the big house and the associated big mortgage payment last year and never regretted it. Now when I hit the road, I turn off the water, set the heat to 50ยฐ (or 80ยฐ in the summer), lock the door and leave.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
One reason we have cut most trips to 3 weeks. For us, multiple 3 weeks trips are working better as we can return and keep the B&M in good shape. Works for us because we are already in the SouthWest.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:

Part of me looks forward to returning to my S&B in the spring, seeing family and friends, working in the garden, having room to spread out... But doing a year worth of upkeep in a few months is exhausting!

I feel this way as well BUT at 65 I welcome the projects to help keep me active mind and body.

Heck - I won't even get an electric tongue jack because I welcome the activity.

Give me a few years and I know I will be singing a different tune.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab