cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Joshua Tree Nat Park

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - we are currently in Lake Havasu AZ, but headed to Joshua Tree tomorrow without reservations. Can anyone recommend a campground with or without hookups? I understand Joshua Tree is huge with many Campgrounds, and we would like to get to the nearest one we can get into. We only have a cudโ€™s us and donโ€™t need to see the whole thing. Thanks!
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
23 REPLIES 23

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
No and Kelso is a cool little place to visit. Has a restored train depot and a tiny museum but that is all. A lot of ruins. Its nearly a ghost town.
I was going to suggest going that way also but I'm not sure it is shorter and its a lot of empty road drivin

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google maps wants me to go down 127, where we are right now, through Baker and Kelso, then through the middle of the park. Will this be difficult while dragging a fifth wheel? It shows your route as an alternative. Thanks.

On edit, I like the look of your route. Looks like it would be easier.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
The best boondocking is on the southside just outside the park at the Cottonwood entrance off I10. Even better is stay on the same road, cross over I10 into Box Canyon and find a nice cosy place among the rocks
The problem though is its a long drive back to the park attractions. If you come in from Death Valley, go to Barstow and take 247 south. Its a long empty road but used by the locals to avoid the terrible traffic going around. It will take you to Yucca Valley. Once in Yucca, turn east to the small town of Joshua Tree. Stop at the visitors center and talk to the rangers about camping. If inside the park is filled, ask about Indian Cove. Its huge. Also tell them how much time you have and ask about what to see and times of tours etc.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
When I said there were 8 sites open that was at that moment for that night, the ranger was there and that's what he told me. Now the next night who knows.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
vermilye wrote:
tuna fisher wrote:
Was up in the park yesterday and Jumbo Rocks CG as of 10am had 8 empty sites. Very surprised this time of year. The BLM land is South of hwy 62 at Sunfair dry lake. 15-20 minute drive to the park.
There may be empty sites ,but are they available? Jumbo Rocks is now reservable...

I looked online this morning and everything in Jumbo Rocks is reserved. I'm going BLM.
the BLM area is very nice, and you can just drive into the park to dump and fill your water.
Gary in Michigan

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
vermilye wrote:
tuna fisher wrote:
Was up in the park yesterday and Jumbo Rocks CG as of 10am had 8 empty sites. Very surprised this time of year. The BLM land is South of hwy 62 at Sunfair dry lake. 15-20 minute drive to the park.
There may be empty sites ,but are they available? Jumbo Rocks is now reservable...

I looked online this morning and everything in Jumbo Rocks is reserved. I'm going BLM.
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
tuna fisher wrote:

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the info Gary and Tuna. Looks like we're gonna stay here at Death Valley til Sunday now. We had heavy rain here Tuesday night and many of the valley roads are still closed from flooding. Plus we'll have better site selection on a Sunday instead a Friday at Joshua Tree.
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
GaryS1953 wrote:
We found the BLM land just outside the south entrance. Very nice, with an incredible array of beautiful wild flowers all around us. Tonight is our second night here, having now been through the park and thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Gary, We are currently in Death Valley, looking to go to Joshua Tree on Friday but are unfamiliar with the area. We have a 31' fifth wheel and would prefer to boondock. Could you fill me in on where this place is? PM me if you wish. Thanks
JK
Hi Jk - if you are coming in on I-10 for the south entrance, youโ€™ll want to get off at the Cottonwood Spring Rd Exit. There are signs saying Joshua Tree before the exit do you canโ€™t miss it. At the exit turn north toward the park and go up the hill about 1/2 mike. You canโ€™t miss the RVs on the left AND right. Plenty of decent spots right now (Thursday morning).
Gary in Michigan

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
GaryS1953 wrote:
We found the BLM land just outside the south entrance. Very nice, with an incredible array of beautiful wild flowers all around us. Tonight is our second night here, having now been through the park and thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Gary, We are currently in Death Valley, looking to go to Joshua Tree on Friday but are unfamiliar with the area. We have a 31' fifth wheel and would prefer to boondock. Could you fill me in on where this place is? PM me if you wish. Thanks
JK
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Gary in Michigan

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA in Desert Hotsprings in Feb 2018 and drove around to the north entrance and out the south side on Bergoo (???) road but youโ€™ll need a jeep or other high clearance vehicle to do that.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in the area for a long time and JT is like my spiritual home. If your coming in on Hwy 62, stop at the Oasis of Mara and talk to the rangers and see where you can get in.(Also ask about Ranch tours) There are a couple of campgrounds within the park and not far from that entrance. If there is noting open ask about Indian Cove and it is the largest but its not in the park but between 29 Palms and the little town of Joshua Tree off Hwy 62. The park is huge but you can see it all in a day. Go in at either Joshua Tree entrance and head east or 29 Palms entrance and go west. The rangers are awesome and will tell you the must see sights. You can do it in one day or like me, spend days exploring.