cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

June trip to explore Colorado

luv2gowalkabout
Explorer
Explorer
Some help please. We are planning a trip from Virginia to Colorado in June. Towing a 36ft fiver. Plan thus far is to travel the middle of the country as we have not done this camping so far. Heading through Tennessee on I40 to Arkansas to visit relatives then to Santa Fe. Return trip by way of I70 to Kentucky (Mammoth Cave stop) then home. We have Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison on our list. We have already been to RMNP. We have 2 weeks to spend in Colorado and prefer more out of the way stops and small towns but still have that NP bucket list(26 so far) I am thinking of a more circular route - Santa Fe - the Dunes- Durango- Gunnison- then out via Pueblo. How much time to spend where is the question? Or should I re think this. Would love to spend more time but we can only be gone for a month until we fully retire. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Info on Fifth wheel towing on these roads would also be appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
In June the middle of the country is going to be hot and there is not much I need to see again. I still do the 1500 miles to CO in two days and the best ways to see Kansas is at night or from 30,000'. I would spend 3 weeks and 3 days of your month in CO, but that's just my preference.
I like the above post's ideas and hopefully Busskipper will add his ideas.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I would skip the Dunes and add Chama, NM. Go up to Pagosa Springs from Santa Fe to see the Georga O'keefe country and maybe stop in Chama for a train ride. Good State Park camping at Heron Lake near Chama.

Go on over to Mesa Verde area. Unhook and drive back to Durango and up to Silverton or take the train. Visit Mesa Verde then drive up through Telluride to Ridgeway. Camp there and drive up to the top of Red Mountain Pass to see why you do not want to pull your 5er over that route.

Use US 50 over Monarch Pass to Salida and then up the middle valley to I-70.

The Great Sand Dunes is not a pleasant place to be in summer. Mosquitoes swarm and it is hot. It is a impressive pile of sand but you must hike to get to it and even with repellent the bugs are bad. Once you get to the dune all you can do is take a picture. Have you ever tried to climb a sand dune?

If you really wanted to see the dune drive down from Salida and then use US 160 over La Vita pass to I-25 then up to CO 69 at exit 52 and back North/west to US 50 and the middle valley.

BTW: the valley the Dunes are in is NOT scenic just flat and covered in scrub brush.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Directory West would be a good resource.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)