cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kansas/Colorado campgrounds off of I -70?

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
Can I get any recommendations for an overnight campground no far off of I-70? I'll be traveling I-70 westbound in about 10 days and the timing of the travel means that I may likely need a campground in middle or western Kansas, or eastern Colorado (before Limon).

Does anyone know if there are electric hook-ups at the Colorado Visitor Center on westbound I-70? I stopped there once, but can't remember if they have hook-ups there. Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:
Ellis, KS (MM 145) has a shady city park, electric, showers, dump, right along a lake. South of I70 to 8th St. turn left (east) 2 blocks.

$20

That's the one I recomended but you have much more detail. Great little spot to spend the night.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I stay overnite at High plain camp of 70 few month ago.Oakley KA
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Ellis, KS (MM 145) has a shady city park, electric, showers, dump, right along a lake. South of I70 to 8th St. turn left (east) 2 blocks.

$20
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
One of our fondest memories of what was essentially an interstate stop was a municipal campground in Ellis, KS. campground isn't much but it's on a river. Nice view and nice little small town. Unfortunately weather was atrocious but police came by to let everyone know that if there was a tornado warning they would come through to warn everyone and that the church next door was a shelter.

Odd little things but left a good impression on us.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

MSGTRETIREDCSP
Explorer
Explorer
The Kit Carson County Fairgrounds are an excellent place to stay. They're quiet and have electrical hookup, for $10 a night. Easy access to the interstate. This is in Burlington, Co on I70. It's a great little town that's friendly. It's the first town you come to in Colorado after crossing from Kansas.
The welcome center does not have hookups, but you can park for the night if electrical is not an issue.
I'll be stopping at the fairgrounds at the end of Sep.
2016 RAM Tradesman, 3500, DRW, 3:73, B & W hitch.
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are running diesel, Goodland is the place to fill. Tues. I filled for $2.19 credit and cash was $2.12.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
bfacklam wrote:
We always stop at the Passport America campground at Seibert, Colorado. It is nothing special, but it has electricity and clean showers. These are the two most important things for us when we stop at campgrounds.
I have stayed there as well, nothing special but no road noise and cheap.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Wilson lake or Milford lake both have electric and water with dump stations. They are both about 6 to 8 miles north of th interstate.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

bfacklam
Explorer
Explorer
We always stop at the Passport America campground at Seibert, Colorado. It is nothing special, but it has electricity and clean showers. These are the two most important things for us when we stop at campgrounds.

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Goodland Kansas has a great little KOA.Real nice people and nice little park.Off the I70 far enough there isn't road noise.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

twells16
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the Wakeeney, KS KOA. Extremely nice and friendly.

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Wakeeney, KS KOA on our way back from Colorado. It's right off I70 and good for an overnight stop.

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nvr*lost wrote:
Can I get any recommendations for an overnight campground no far off of I-70? I'll be traveling I-70 westbound in about 10 days and the timing of the travel means that I may likely need a campground in middle or western Kansas, or eastern Colorado (before Limon).

Does anyone know if there are electric hook-ups at the Colorado Visitor Center on westbound I-70? I stopped there once, but can't remember if they have hook-ups there. Thanks.

There are no electric hookups in any Colorado Welcome Center, nor is overnight parking permitted. Some law enforcement jurisdictions will enforce this more vigorously than others.

There's a nice campground in Oakley KS -- High Plains Camping. It gets good reviews as well. Not to be confused with another one there, Kansas Kountry RV Park, which does not get good reviews. Haven't stayed there for that reason.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.