cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Key West area timing

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always wanted to see the Key West area. Have scoured various Key West posts here and tried to soak up what I could, but am still left with a bunch of questions.
Lets say we want to go to Key West next year, what time of the year is preferred, where to stay and how far in advance do we need reservations? Which campgrounds are the best, and/or which sites? What can we expect in the way of a campground and amenities?
OK, background info. We are B campers, approaching our early 70's, and only need electric. Not much on city activities/night life, other than dining and a grocery store. A quick tour or drive by and that's fine. (Saw New Orleans in under 5 minutes - the stop lights were against us.) History is always a plus. Other than the water, what highlights are there to see & do beside sit on the beach and relax?

Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
20 REPLIES 20

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh something you won't want to miss is the sunset party out on the pier. A large crowd gathers to watch the sunset. So you will want to stay at least that late.

We have spent a week or so in July down there a couple times and never found it to be that hot. There is usually a good breeze off the ocean. But we are from Florida so not too hot may mean something different to you.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
Pick your season, plan accordingly.

If you like hot, you can avoid the high season winter months. If you would like to warm your bones for the winter, no better place.

No matter when you decide to go, the best value is the state parks, so they book early all year.

If you go in the summer, availability at most CGs is much better.

First thing out, you should try to reserve at any of the state parks or skip from one to another. Reservations are difficult, but you may get lucky and string a week or two together with some skipping around. The SPs book up mostly on the first day allowed to reserve, so get up early and log in right at the reservable limit. I think its 11 months out, maybe 10 -forget.

Bahia Honda will be the toughest. The others are a little better. The Class B will open up more sites for you too.

For instance, I am planning a 2-week trip June-July timeframe right now. Bahia Honda only has two nights available. They are non-consecutive at different sites for the period I am searching. The rest are reserved for that two-week period. We may snag one night to be able to stay over and enjoy the best beach in the Keys (Sandspur Beach) for two days. The other SPs in the Keys have many more sites available for that timeframe.

We are lucky to have the Navy Base CG available to us. So, we can come and go there as we please during that time of year.

Since you mentioned history, check out a possible trip to the Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson. That should make for a great day trip. We are planning that for the first time this trip.

Since you don't like the nightlife, you could take in the town of Key West in a day if you'd like. The tourist stops are best done on the trolley the first time down. Then, take it from there.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
As said, Spring after the snowbirds leave is the best time. Summer is too hot, and the fall is still in hurricane season. You need reservations way ahead .... State Parks take reservations on line at exactly 0800 11 months before the date you want - you find out what is going to be available ahead of time, get ready, watch an atomic clock, and try clicking at exactly 0800. If you are looking for the winter season, thousands of others are clicking at the exact same time, so it is like a lottery. You can stay in the State Parks for two weeks at a time. If you want to take a chance, and are flexible, you can keep watch for last minute cancellations, but they are few and far between. That being said, the State Parks are the nicest places in the Keys, and the cheapest. Bahia Honda is the closest to Key West, but Curry Hammock is less than 60 miles out of Key West. As far as Key West goes, the main downtown is mostly a party spot. There is plenty of interesting history and historic sites. If you have bikes, taking the camper to the free parking lot at Atlantic and White Streets out near the beach, and riding the bike the mile or two into town is the easiest solution to limited parking. I would recommend take the 'Conch Train" to get the lay of the land and point out all the points of interest, then go back and visit those that interest you. There are a couple of campgrounds on Stock Island a few miles out of Key West - Boyds, Leos, and El Mar - all would be fine in a B. We stay in Geiger Key Marina and RV Park about 10 miles out of town for all February, and you can catch odd and end sites there if you are lucky. Good restaurant on site, and free, but noisy air show from the adjacent Naval Air Station all day long.
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I was there this past January, as well as 4 years ago in August. Don't go in August. It was miserably hot and humid, even at 9 pm. I got to say if you're not into the night life, it's probably not the place for you. Crowded, loud, and the most fun I ever had with my clothes on, although there is a clothing optional rooftop bar as well.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best time is any time but the 'season' which approximately runs from December to late March or early April depending on how cold the northern tier of states happens to be.

You don't want to camp directly in Key West, I'm not even sure if there is a CG there. Marathon Key or further south are the places to look. Also I doubt you find any camp sites with less than FHU. The Keys are small geographically and if anyone puts up a CG it will be FHU considering land prices.

The prime spot is usually considered to be Bahia Honda State Park:

Link

I think you can make reservations a year or so in advance but check

the reservations page. You will want to try to get reservations the day that they open up, it is a very popular park. All the Keys state parks with campgrounds are good if Bahia Honda is not available so check those out.

We usually camp at marathon but that may be to far away from Key West for you. One thing, if you want to snorkel or SCUBA then you need a period with lower winds. High winds mean turbid water and no visibility.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We went in May. It is after many snow birds flock north and before summer heat. Stayed at Bluewater Key. Great locale. Tiki hut at all sites, outdoor wet bar with refer, microwave and entertainment center. Wireless internet was good at our site.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker