cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KOA Ilwaco/Long Beach Wa.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are long time KOA users and this was our first trip to this particular one. We camped in a trailer with full hook ups. Stay was 7 days.

Here's the good stuff:
The sites are huge. All pull through with enough room for a long trailer, long truck, and a boat. Easily. I had read reviews saying tires could sink in the grass, but maybe they were old as all the sites I could see were nicely graveled. Almost level right when I parked. Grass on both sides, and plenty of room between sites for awnings, slide outs, screen tents, etc. Never felt too close. Fire pits are large truck/tractor rims and worked nicely. Staff cleaned them out completely between visitors. Picnic table was a standard wood table in good condition.

Bathrooms were kept very clean, hot water was always available, and never ran out of supplies. Game room was pretty neat. Just a couple of video games and a pool table, but they supplied family style board games to use free of charge. Laundry room was clean, cheap, and functional (dryers get a tad too hot though, if you're worried about your clothes be careful).

The store is small but well stocked and the coffee is pretty good.

The staff is excellent. Extremely friendly and accommodating. I had some specialty allergy medication that missed delivery to my house. The company was supposed to call this KOA to verify it was ok to deliver to the campground. They never did. When I talked to the staff at the desk about it, he said it was absolutely no problem. The next day, he actually received the package for me and walked it to my campsite. The staff here has a way of always being available to you without seeming to always be in your space. I can't say enough good things about them.

Playground is off in its own area away from camp sites. So you'll have to go with little ones. They could use some benches for adults to sit on while watching their kids, but otherwise it's a nice little park. Big spacious grass area, sand "boat" and swing set. Swing set is getting old, but I didn't feel it was unsafe at all.

RV hook ups were fine. I only had 30 amp. Since 30 is the most used, a lot of campgrounds' 30 amp outlets are worn out due to campers not knowing what they're doing. Not these. They appeared to either be relatively new, or well taken care of. No power surges or dips were noticed in 7 days of heavy use. Campground filled to capacity during the weekend. Water pressure was great and the water is of good quality/taste. Standard sewage connection, no problems there. There was cable hook ups, but I did not use them, so not sure about that.

WiFi is actually pretty good for a campground. You can actually stream a movie at night with maybe occasional buffering IF you're close to the office. More than 75 yards away and I doubt it would work. But that's not bad for a campground (cell service was very spotty for ATT).

The campground itself is located in a decent area. It's right off the freeway, but I didn't seem to notice it too often. Occasional big loud truck, but not what I'd call noisy. It's centrally located between Long Beach and the bridge to Astoria Or. Those being the two biggest tourist destinations, that was a big plus. The campground seems to also be popular with those who have boats and fish the river. I'd say it's about 10 minutes to Long Beach and maybe 15 to Astoria. Still gotta drive everywhere, this isn't a walk to the beach location..

Kabins. They are typical KOA Kabins with two exceptions. One, they have screen doors. That's nice due to this area being known for mosquitos. Two, the area where the fire pit is has a 3/4 surround, tall fence around it. This gives you some sort of privacy, but doesn't seem to close you off from the rest of the campground. This is especially nice here as the Kabins are located behind a row of RV spots. So you don't have to look at the rear end of rigs while you enjoy the fire.

Now the not so good stuff:
Being long time KOAers, we're kinda used to the standard amenities that most KOAs have. This one has just what I listed above. There's no community kitchen, no bike rental, NO POOL, no movie or ice cream social. These are things that KOA people will understand that it's odd to not have. The thing that most campers would find odd, is there is no BBQ/grill at the campsites. Not even on the fire ring. That's bad. We had to go buy a small BBQ to use while there.

Bathrooms. There's one. This is a large campground that I would have expected to have two or even three bathrooms. It could get crowded with only three showers or stalls. They're great at keeping them clean, but they could have used more facilities. I mentioned the water was always hot, that's true, but two of the three showers would only do hot. Very hot. The shower handles need to be updated/fixed to work properly.

Tents. I saw several people using the tent sites. I'm still a big tent camper, and I probably wouldn't have wanted to use this place for that. They're actually closer to the freeway. Sites looked big, but being 25 yards off a freeway is not what most tent campers want.

The store. It's fine for snacks and such. But if you're used to KOAs, you'd expect more in the way of RV and camping supplies you may have forgotten. This one does not have that. Nothing in the way of real food either. So come prepared or be prepared to shop in town.

Overall, this is a great campground. Especially if you just need a base camp to the area. If you desire to just camp and hang around the campsite, it may not be the one for you.

As for the Long Beach area, I loved it. It's a very touristy area, but you can actually fill most of your days with free stuff. The beach, parks, lighthouses, museums (absolutely lived Marsh's Free Museum).

If you like to eat, you'll love this area. Many great restaurants. Two most notable were The Lost Roo and The Hungry Harbor. The Roo is a big sports bar type atmosphere, pretty darn good prices, and excellent food. Best food on the Peninsula. The Hungry Harbor is centrally located downtown, about as cheap as you'll find there, and great burgers and fish and chips.

Other than that, downtown is fun as all get out. Lots of fun shops, an amusement park, and an arcade. The amusement park is very small and old. But we loved it. Wasn't too expensive and the kids had a great time. Didn't take long as the only rides currently operating were the carousel, tilt 'o whirl, and bumber cars. But it's worth it.

Across the bridge is Astoria and Warrenton Oregon. Astoria has lots of fun things to do and see. Museums and such. The Goonies house and the school from Kindergarten Cop are there. Took all of 5 minutes to see both, but was a funny side trip that I felt was worth it. It's free. Warrenton has just about everything you could possibly need in terms of stores and service if you have equipment issues (like buying a BBQ).

Anyway, hope this may help someone planning a trip to the Pacific Northwest. It's a great area. After 7 days, I feel like we could have spent another week easily as there were many other parks and attractions we didn't see.
14 REPLIES 14

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, maybe I'm from too high up in hillbilly land, but 101 through there may not be an interstate, but it's a freeway.

And I already said it wasn't a huge freeway, wasn't a problem from my trailer spot, but the tents were right next to it.

BBQs are most definitely standard in KOAs. Standard in any private campground in the mountains where I live. Standard in the Fed Forest campgrounds where I usually go.

And pools are definitely standard at most KOAs I've been to. Only this one and the Grand Canyon one I went to didn't have one.

Already stated we tried streaming a video to test it. We don't use the WiFi really anywhere.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
Good analysis but your reference to a "freeway" leaves me scratching my head. What freeway? 101 is a 2 lane highway and I-5 is miles and miles away over in Portland.

X2, I believe the closest freeway is I-5. Don't need a pool 'cuz you're at an ocean beach area. I've never seen bbq's being a normal thing. The KOA at Warrenton does have an indoor pool with some very strict rules.
We never stream movies 'cuz someone else may want to get online. Was at at an RV park in Portland that had awesome wifi, till about 8 PM and then it went to pot. Talked to the guy next door about it and he said thaty he didn't notice it as his movies were coming thru great. There were several signs around the park telling folks not to do this but he said that he figgered that nobody would notice..
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
rr2254545 wrote:
You can actually stream a movie at night with maybe occasional buffering

Love this comment this is why campground Wifi will never work for all

I know what you're saying. And totally agree. We just tested it out.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
"Being long time KOAers, we're kinda used to the standard amenities that most KOAs have. This one has just what I listed above. There's no community kitchen, no bike rental, NO POOL, no movie or ice cream social."

well no pool was sort of unusual but should have been mentioned in the directory, but those other amenities I have not seen at most of the KOAs I have been at.
bumpy

Really? This was the first time I had not seen them. Funny. And they tend to advertise those things, so I figured it was more common than not.

The directory didn't specifically mention NOT having a pool. But doesn't list one. Easy enough until you look at 25 campgrounds before picking and start to muddle them in your head. My fault completely, and my kids made sure I was aware that I had promised a pool, just mentioned it as it is common for them to have pools

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
jamesu wrote:
Good analysis but your reference to a "freeway" leaves me scratching my head. What freeway? 101 is a 2 lane highway and I-5 is miles and miles away over in Portland.

I'm talking about 101. I know it's a two lane highway at that point. But it was heavily traveled on the weekend. There were at least two events going on that weekend. Maybe that is what made it so busy. Either way, it's a busy road very close to where tent campers would be. That was my point.

I think I made a point to include that info, including that it didn't bother me at my trailer site, because I had read reviews online complaining about the vehicle noise. I copied and pasted my review to a couple other sites as well.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
You can actually stream a movie at night with maybe occasional buffering

Love this comment this is why campground Wifi will never work for all
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Just in case you might be interested...B Loop at Cape Disappointment has yurts, too.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
"Being long time KOAers, we're kinda used to the standard amenities that most KOAs have. This one has just what I listed above. There's no community kitchen, no bike rental, NO POOL, no movie or ice cream social."

well no pool was sort of unusual but should have been mentioned in the directory, but those other amenities I have not seen at most of the KOAs I have been at.
bumpy

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
And thanks for the recommendation of Cape Disappointment. We actually looked at that place and might have booked it except family was originally coming with us and they had planned to use a Kabin at KOA. Otherwise, I might not have bothered with that particular KOA.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
Thanks for posting and good info. We like that area also. Always something to do.

Couple of strange questions...

On the Oregon side we always buy water, just tastes strange to us, especially in Seaside area (south of Warrenton a little)

How was the water where you were at?

I ask because I wonder if Columbia has any effect with water that come out of ground. One water source is north and one source is south of Columbia.

Water at the camp site was great. Forgot my water filter for the hook up, and it still tasted fine.

Water as restaurants was good too. Couldn't tell ya if any or all of them use tap water or filtered, but it all tasted fine.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We always stay at Cape Disappointment, too. It is definitely further away from the highway, but we would rather have it that way.

We have also taken advantage of the site delivery of pizza from the wood fired oven wagon at the campground entrance. I don't know if they still do this, but it was certainly a wonderful thing to be able to unhook, set up, sit down with an adult beverage and have the pizza man come right to the site with our dinner.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Next time give Cape Disappointment State Park a try. We camp there often and like it a lot...huge sites, full hook ups great location, less expensive than KOA.

But, no pancake socials or bouncy houses either.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting and good info. We like that area also. Always something to do.

Couple of strange questions...

On the Oregon side we always buy water, just tastes strange to us, especially in Seaside area (south of Warrenton a little)

How was the water where you were at?

I ask because I wonder if Columbia has any effect with water that come out of ground. One water source is north and one source is south of Columbia.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"