cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leadville to Estes Park CO

Radioflyer99
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Estes Park from Leadville CO. Don't want to go through Golden and Boulder. Looking at Central City Parkway to Blackhawk hitting 119 to Estes Park. Anyone know if it's doable with 40' fifth wheel. Grades are no problem
3 REPLIES 3

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
You can trust in Thom. He has helped me out with some details of route before and he knows the area as well as anyone.

This note is just to say that this is my preferred route from Buena Vista to Estes Park. We have made it several times, and I am a "flatlander" from East Texas where our local mountain is 356 feet above sea level. Not only that I am an old timer getting dangerously close to 90 years of age.

This route is know as the "Peak to Peak Highway" and we will be taking it again in September if we don't get cancelled by Rocky Mountain National Park. We have been "warned" but not cancelled yet.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drive around Estes Park.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Radioflyer99 wrote:
Heading to Estes Park from Leadville CO. Don't want to go through Golden and Boulder. Looking at Central City Parkway to Blackhawk hitting 119 to Estes Park. Anyone know if it's doable with 40' fifth wheel. Grades are no problem

Yes. It's doable and recommended. CO 119 goes in to Nederland where you'll pick up CO 72 and take that north to CO 7, which takes you to Allenspark and on to Estes Park.

On the 119 section, there's some switchbacks along the way, and other curves. some ups/downs as well, but it's not a bad drive. Good roadway, it's a typical mountain drive.

In Nederland, the downtown streets are a bit narrow, but negotiable. There's a roundabout to get to CO 72.

Again as with 119, 72 is typical mountain driving, there's a climb out of Nederland but not overly difficult. RV'ers do it all the time, it's a great drive with some nice viewing areas along the way (one is the fantastic view of Longs Peak from a close up perspective).

CO 72 intersection with CO 7 takes you on the final leg into Estes. There's a goodly hill up to Allenspark, but it's not overly long, and again just typical mountain driving which is to say curves. The roadway is fine with pull offs if needed.

As you approach Estes Park and enter Larimer County the roadway does narrow some, but the good news is it's been resurfaced. There's a long downhill to get into Estes Park, just gear down as you approach Lily Lake (trailhead signs there).

Depending on where you're going in Estes Park, you can take Mary's Lake Road to US 36/Moraine Ave, which takes you in to RMNP and several CG (Estes Park at Mary's Lake, Elk Meadow, Spruce Lake) in that area. Or stay on CO 7 which takes you to the junction with US 36/34 and other campgrounds on that side of town (KOA) as well as the Fall River Road entrance to Rocky.

The entire route is a beautiful drive. There's no shelf road, no steep dropoffs without guardrails, none of that. Well maintained state highways, with shoulders and in some places bike lanes.

Something to be aware of, it's a popular route for bicyclists and motorcycles, so just a heads up that you may come up on both, or be passed by MCs.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.