cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leavenworth campground falls into $2.7 million foreclosure

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this article in the local paper today. This is the campground just east of Leavenworth Washington on the north side of S.R. 2.

Here's the link;

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2015/mar/21/leavenworth-campground-falls-into-27-million-foreclosure/

And here's some of the text;

LEAVENWORTH โ€” The owners of Leavenworthโ€™s Pine Village KOA campground are in the midst of a $2.7 million foreclosure by their lending bank over claims of unpaid loans, taxes and fees.

Bellevue-based Foundation Bank won a Chelan County Superior Court order Friday putting the the 27-acre Pine Village into receivership, in preparation for a foreclosure sale. The bank says Witt Campground Inc., the family-run company that owns the campground, has not made payment on two construction loans since December, nor paid state taxes due at the end of 2014.

A declaration filed along with the suit says Witt Campground has also failed to pay royalties to Kampgrounds of America for its membership in the KOA network, even as its CEO, Caroline A. Witt of Leavenworth, continued to take $10,000 per month in salary.

Foundation Bankโ€™s suit, filed March 11, asks for the campground to be sold with proceeds going to pay off the loan debt and penalties. The property was put up for sale within the last few months.

The riverside campground, located on River Bend Drive just northeast of Leavenworth, hosts RV, cabin and tent camping, with a pool, hot tub, snack bar and other amenities. Dan Reina manages the campground through his firm, Reina Consulting of Snohomish.

In a court declaration, Reina wrote that he was hired in 2012 and managed the campground for two years. Caroline Witt and her son David Witt took over day-to-day operations until January 2015, when they rehired Reinaโ€™s firm.

Once back in control, Reina learned the Witt firm owed roughly $29,000 to the Department of Revenue in back taxes, penalties and interest, plus more than $17,000 to the Department of Labor and Industries, according to his court declaration. The business also owed $30,000 in past-due royalties to KOA.

At the time of the lawsuitโ€™s filing, Reina wrote, Witt Campground had less than $5,000 in its accounts.

The site opened for camping in 1967. Caroline Witt, 70, is the widow of Gene T. Witt, who bought the land and operation in 1981. Itโ€™s been held by his heirs in the Witt Campground firm since his death in 2008.

The company applied in November 2012 to have its campground land annexed into Leavenworth โ€” a move opposed by neighbors in the 38 residential lots along River Bend, who feared increased traffic and possible future expansion. The city held hearings on the request last year, but City Administrator Joel Walinski said Friday thereโ€™s been no action taken.

The zoning sought by Witt Campground would have allowed the development of condominiums, apartments, eating and drinking establishments, theaters and grocery stores, subject to city permits. But the campground owners would also have had to install water and sewer hookups, fire hydrants, and a new secondary road, since River Bend Drive currently dead-ends at the campground.

Witt Campground took out the first of its two loans in November 2012, for $250,000. It followed up with another $2.6 million loan in July 2013, putting up the campground property as collateral, according to court records.

Attorneys for the owners couldnโ€™t be reached for comment Friday. The campground remains in operation, taking reservations through KOA.

Judge T.W.โ€œChipโ€ Small appointed Mel R. Codd of Seattle as receiver. Reinaโ€™s attorney, Allan Galbraith of Wenatchee, said Friday Reinaโ€™s firm would likely stay on as manager while the campground is in receivership. Any sale is subject to court approval.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.
14 REPLIES 14

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
It sounds like the current owners are taking the money and running, leaving behind a piece of property with a questionable future!

The original owner died in 08, left the campground to the kids and as usual they seen dollar signs and ran it into the ground!

The article mentions the widow is still involved and was drawing a monthly salary as CEO.

Yep, and I`m sure she is letting the kids run it. I`m also fairly certain her salary is drawn out of the loan they took out on the property.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
It sounds like the current owners are taking the money and running, leaving behind a piece of property with a questionable future!

The original owner died in 08, left the campground to the kids and as usual they seen dollar signs and ran it into the ground!

The article mentions the widow is still involved and was drawing a monthly salary as CEO.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
It's a shame that KOA is sullied by this fiasco. We've stayed in some very nice KOA cgs.

X2 Stuff like this is just more fodder for the KOA-bashers, even though KOA corporate has nothing to do with it. Just to be sure, we've encountered some KOA's that needed help, yes, and there are some that are simply outstanding.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
It's a shame that KOA is sullied by this fiasco. We've stayed in some very nice KOA cgs.

I don't see KOA being "sullied" by this outfit going under.
bumpy

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
surprised that their first step wasn't to discontinue the KOA name, don't know what that costs per year, but there are lots of campgrounds around that have the signature office building that are no longer KOAs. on google it seems like an interesting campground however.
bumpy

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
It's a shame to have that happen but it's a lousy CG even for a KOA.
I know that KOA's are nice in other locals but in the PNW they're terrible.

There are some very nice ones in the PNW. This one at Leavenworth isn't really a bad place to stay and the one in Ellensburg is pretty good also. We have used the ones at Port Angeles, Bay Center,Winthrop also. We have been to more other campgrounds that were disappointing than KOAs.
I will say that there was the one in Sacramento that we couldn't get out of fast enuff.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed there last fall. I didn't see anything wrong with it; campsite was level, hookups worked, office staff acted decent, there were always people collecting trash and picking up leaves. Didn't use the laundry, showers or bathrooms, so not sure what they were like. I liked their free shuttle to Leavenworth, saved trying to find parking. It's too bad, I would have stayed there again. Hope somebody else takes it over rather than have it close.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's a shame to have that happen but it's a lousy CG even for a KOA.
I know that KOA's are nice in other locals but in the PNW they're terrible.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the bank was suckered into a $2.6 million dollar cash out loan since there was no mention of construction or construction over-runs. Bet dollars to dimes the financials given to the bank were riddled with misstatements. I'll be watching this one if it hits the market, it just might be a bargain, or I'll report back if it is a house of cards that just fell (which is my gut feeling).

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting and not unexpected. Not to pile on, but in 25+ years of RVing all over the country, that campground is in our very top 5 worse ever list...very poorly run, poorly maintained, expensive, crowded, run down...I could go on.

We stayed there about 5 years ago and we just knew something was wrong.

There are lots of better choices in the area. Our favorite is Wenatchee Confluence State Park just down the highway a bit.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Might be a good opportunity for someone to purchase a campground! (if they are willing to pay the back-taxes?) Negotiate with the bank for a price, you might be surprised what you could buy it for. Sounds like an interesting business opportunity for someone who would enjoy a challenge like this.

You better bet, if it's not retained as a campground, a shopping mall will probably be built on the spot!