cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Liberty Bell Visit-Philadephia

nomad2013
Explorer
Explorer
What are the better RV parks to stay at, and how is the best way to get to Constitution Hall? Do you drive in, take a train, take a bus?
And, what areas are best to avoid?
Thanking you in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
texasAUtiger wrote:
ependydad wrote:
When we head to tour Philadelphia, I'm going to do the parking lot thing and just stay at: http://campusparkandride.com/rv/

We stayed there last month. It is fine, Keith (who runs it) is a super nice guy. Just keep you expectations low: it is literally a parking lot. But it is secure. The water and electric hookups will be at the very back of your rig so make sure you have enough hose if your water is at the front of your rig like mine is. The wifi doesn't reach the spots further from the office so if that's important to you, plan accordingly.

i took the shuttle to the U Penn Hospital bus stop (free) but the bus never came probably due to a lot of construction in that area. I used uber and $3 and 10 mins later I was at Constitution Hall Visitor Center.

Everything in that historical center of Philly is very compact and easy to cover on foot once you are down there.

I stayed there in May to tour the Independence area. A great spot for staying in the city. Took the free shuttle to the hospital. The bus stop is right there and took me to the hall area. The campusparkandride has a one page handout giving instructions to do this, but is a bit out of date for the bus stop locations. Seniors ride free. The bathroom is a trailer, it was only OK.
Tour Fort Mifflin before going to the parkandride, it was right next to the airport.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
texasAUtiger wrote:
ependydad wrote:
When we head to tour Philadelphia, I'm going to do the parking lot thing and just stay at: http://campusparkandride.com/rv/

We stayed there last month. It is fine, Keith (who runs it) is a super nice guy. Just keep you expectations low: it is literally a parking lot. But it is secure. The water and electric hookups will be at the very back of your rig so make sure you have enough hose if your water is at the front of your rig like mine is. The wifi doesn't reach the spots further from the office so if that's important to you, plan accordingly.

i took the shuttle to the U Penn Hospital bus stop (free) but the bus never came probably due to a lot of construction in that area. I used uber and $3 and 10 mins later I was at Constitution Hall Visitor Center.

Everything in that historical center of Philly is very compact and easy to cover on foot once you are down there.

Thanks for the response. It's exactly as I hoped.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

texasAUtiger
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

Dad, Mom, and two young kids
2015 Keystone Bullet 272BHS
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat SuperCrew, PSD 6.7
Husky Centerline TS hitch

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I think I was there once nice enough. Problem was toll to return to Pa. Cost nothing going to NJ cost me $40 to escape NJ.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
jplante4 wrote:
Timberlane in Clarksboro NJ is probably the closest to Philly. I stay there a night to and from the northeast. Open all year.

If you stay in NJ, the PATCO high speed line (which can be picked up in various locations) will drop you off in the center of the city and walking distance to the historical sights.

PATCO High Speed Line

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Timberlane in Clarksboro NJ is probably the closest to Philly. I stay there a night to and from the northeast. Open all year.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

sgip2000 wrote:
nomad2013 wrote:
What are the better RV parks to stay at, and how is the best way to get to Constitution Hall? Do you drive in, take a train, take a bus?
Thanking you in advance!

Be prepared. The drivers there are worse than NY, Chicago, and DC.

That is sooooooo wrong!! We don't even come close to the NY drivers . .

To the OP - a lot of folks stay at the KOA in West Chester PA and drive in... the SEPTA system runs pretty good and will get you close to what you want to see. I cannot tell you any more, as I go into Philly and get out... Driving into the city is ok, just the construction and parking can be horrible...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
We stayed in a very nice campground located west of the city in the rolling hills of horse country. I just can't recall the name of it. We drove into the city and had absolutely not problem finding parking to visit the historical sites.

You may be referring to Westchester KOA. We stayed there as well, easy ride into Philly. OP, depending on what you're driving, parking isn't bad near Independence hall. Use the PHLASH to get around to historic sites.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in a very nice campground located west of the city in the rolling hills of horse country. I just can't recall the name of it. We drove into the city and had absolutely not problem finding parking to visit the historical sites.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
nomad2013 wrote:
Thanking you in advance!

Be prepared. The drivers there are worse than NY, Chicago, and DC.