Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long article on Cell phones in Yellowstone and Glacier

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Great Falls Tribune
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.
24 REPLIES 24

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The real point here is that the area in Yellowstone that the cell tower IS going in is an area where there is currently no service. On top of that, the Lake/Fishing Bridge area has a large volume of visitors staying in that area. Not only the hotels and campgrounds but also the workers quarters that for the most part are hidden from view. The infrastructure impact in this area is quite large.

With the assumption that they will be able to make this much needed upgrade with minimal impact, it will provide a big impact for those who actually visit. One of the largest problems is people squawking who have no real knowledge of the area. It seems that, for them, any change is wrong.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
How far back should we roll technology? For some, the park sure would be nicer to visit if it wasn't for those "horseless carriages" people drive around.

:h

Good grief...from one extreme to another! Who's suggesting abandoning what's already there? Going out to the woods without a cell phone-or even, heaven forbid, without electricity- is hardly a return to the horse-and-buggy age.

The notion that there has to be cell phone coverage everywhere is in my opinion a symptom of the extreme dependency on the wired world that we've afflicted ourselves with over the last decade. And that's just for starters- how many folks' number one complaint about RV parks is poor Wi-Fi signals?

This great Social Change is thanks to us over-sixties, by the way...the most self-involved generation of Americans ever. No wonder they call us baby boomers.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
In the outdoor locations we frequent I seldom see others blabbing away on phones.

As a "geezer" I'm not a device user when off and about.
Our cell devices are simple and often left discharged.

Frankly I see no reason to not cover the nation with cell\wifi service.
I may start complaining when other campers start crashing into me, each other or walking off cliffs because of distractions.
For now distracted device users of the outdoors are not a problem.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
How far back should we roll technology? For some, the park sure would be nicer to visit if it wasn't for those "horseless carriages" people drive around. Cell phone signals are invisible, converstations on them aren't any louder than a group of hikers talking amongst themselves, but the fact you only can hear one side of the conversation does make eavesdropping a bit less enjoyable. The national parks encompass millions of acres, you can find a quiet spot pretty easily. What we have here is not concern over damage to the experience of visiting the back country, but rather a small group of self important people who get off on imposing their will on others. Every year people die in the back country and maybe a few of them would still be with us if they had a way to contact rescue workers. Even more people get lost and money is spent on search and rescue efforts, which could have been avoided had the person been able to make contact and report that either they were safe and delayed or were able to relay their location to expediently arrange their safe return. This smacks of the "emperor's new clothes" syndrome. Someone self proclaimed expert claiming some non-existent fact (cell phone services will cause harm to the back country experience) and everyone nodding in agreement. There is a reason lemmings usually meet an undesirable fate, they don't take the time or energy to realize what really is going on.

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of us who spend months on the road with older family members back home, wireless networks provide the ability to communicate with them. No, it is not a necessity, but it makes modern travel easier. If you don't want the communication, simply turn off your phone. Modern cell towers have the ability to be almost undetectable and require very limited space. Unless you actually go looking for them, most don't even know that they are even there.

For those who advocate going back to the old ways, the damage to remove all that has taken place over the decades would be incredible. While there may be those who object, we must simply move forward with the hopes that those in charge make good decisions.

I, for one, like most of what they have done.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
You nailed it, Francesca. ๐Ÿ™‚

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
The geezer generation is every bit as dependent on cell phones, if not more so.

I think folks too afraid to be outside the influence of cell towers etc, ought to just stay closer to "civilization".

Why not leave the few remaining untouched/unwired places to those of us who prefer to remain truly independent, at least when it comes to being in the natural world?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
It's become such a "necessary" for the younger generation

A cell phone can be "necessary" for more than just the "younger" generation. For people with health issues emergencies don't wait until the time is convenient. Park rangers aren't always accessible and it can take time to get into interior locations. If you have ever traveled while a close relative is very ill, it is also important to stay in contact "just in case". And don't be so critical of the "younger generation". You would be amazed at how much they take in and understand regardless of having a cell phone on them.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I won't read all the article.....it's boring to me. But I WILL say this.....it's amazing how many people have managed to visit Yellowstone Park for how many years??? without having to HAVE a cell phone. It's become such a "necessary" for the younger generation, it's sad. They miss out on so much!!!!!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Opinions differ, but it's easy to say you don't need cell phone service in those parks . . . . . . until you suffer a true emergency and there is no quick way to summon help.:E

No one says you have to have your cell phone turned on, or even bring it with you if you don't want to.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L