cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

looking for a great spot in the Appalachians for one night

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
Road trip this weekend with my son from Norfolk to Akron.

On the way back Saturday we can cross the mountains anywhere from ALtoona, PA to BLacksburg, VA. so i'm looking for suggestions for a particularly good spot to tent camp that night.

thanks
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.
3 REPLIES 3

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My number one pick would be SHERANDO LAKE near Waynesboro/Sherando just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Easy access to I64 at EXIT 99 Blue Ridge Parkway or EXIT 90 SHERANDO

SHERANDO LAKE is an excellent well known tent camping site. You may want to stay a couple of days haha... The best tent sites is in the LOOP A area with just a toilet facility with water. There are also Electric sites in another area.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, it would be very cool to camp in one of the shelters but we are not set up to hike in at all.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of good places in the Shenandoah Valley in VA to camp. I am writing this from the Shenandoah Valley campground in Mount Jackson, VA. Mostly RV's here but tents are welcome. There are also 3 campgrounds along Skyline Drive to tent camp. Any if you really want to rough it, you can camp along the Appalachian Trail at one of their shelters in VA, WV or MD. More remote are the shelters on the Tuscarora Trail in VA, WV or PA.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A