cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for the unexpected!

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! The hubby and I are headed in October to Great Basin,Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion. We have been to Zion before, but not the other parks. We are looking for favorites you had visiting any of those parks. You know, the out of the way restaurant with great pie or dinner. The hidden trail you found, something you thought was cool that wasn't on the visitors guide!
Tim and Kathy, Topa the Wonder Dog
2003 Nash 21 5R
2002 Chevy 2500HD, SB, Duramax diesel, Allison tranny
Twin Honda EU2000i
29 REPLIES 29

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Don't just drive UT-12 between Torrey and Bryce. Take time to explore it. Calf Creek Falls and the Burr Trail were mentioned, but there are many other great places along UT-12 and other Scenic Backways besides the Burr Trail. Also check out the Fishlake Scenic Byway just West of Torrey.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the additions about Great Basin and the links to great websites! Now, if only the sequestration doesn't go through....if so, I guess we get to have fun figuring out new places to go ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Nash 21 5R
Twin Honda EU2000i

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
The whole southern half of Utah should be declared a National Park. You could spend months and still not see all the main attractions let alone the lesser known secluded areas. If you're into day hiking here's a few of the best, IMHO.
Some of the Best Utah Day Hikes
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
You'll get lots of ideas for the other parks, so let me pipe up on Great Basin NP. First, pay attention to some of the artwork along the side of the road on your way into the park. Of course there's the caverns and the drive up the Wheeler Peak Drive, but once you're up there, take the hike to the Bristlecone Pine Grove and then beyond to the Rock Glacier. They have labeled some of the trees with plaques telling you how old individual trees are. The rock glacier beyond will make you think you are in the Sierras of California, not the deserts of Nevada.

I'm wondering if the steep climb rbtglove was thinking about was to Wheeler Peak CG, not Upper Lehman. The road to Wheeler Peak has grades up to 8% and vehicles and trailers over 24' aren't allowed. We have mostly seen tent campers up there. The CG's in the park are OK (Upper Lehman is better than Lower Lehman), but we now stay at Cave Lake State Park outside of Ely. Ely is an interesting old mining town to poke around in, and the Northern Nevada Railway still runs weekend trips in October. Check out one of the steam powered trips.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Best Friends Animal Sanctuary at Kanab, Utah. . . a fantastic experience just to drive through or take their tour. It's in a beautiful setting and they do have a couple RV sites for rent - if you're lucky.

The area has many slot canyons for hiking In Escalante try Peek-A-Boo or Spooky canyons. Be sure to check weather conditions first for hiking any slot canyons. Even if it's rained 50 miles away it could be dangerous in slots.

Here's a good site for the Southwest, including slot canyons:

Southwest in General & Slot Canyons
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! You guys are helping to keep my excitement going until it is time to go!
2003 Nash 21 5R
Twin Honda EU2000i

B-J1
Explorer
Explorer
We LOVE southern Utah. We'll be in Zion the last weekend in Oct. ๐Ÿ™‚ Some of my recommednations: Not sure how much hiking u do but...Kodachome Basin ST. Park. Great place to camp as well as good hiking & an easy and beautiful slot canyon not far from there is Willis Creek). Grand Escalante Staircase great slot canyons a well...if u guys r in decent shape, Peekaboo & spooky slots r awesome....but VERY narrow, I had to turn sideways in some spots & I'm 6' 170)Devils garden is also down the same road (hole in the rock),. Hike to lower calf creek falls is fairly easy & flat but sandy...worth the effort. Do at least 1 hike down into Bryce canyon. Burr trail is an interesting drive. Be sure to do the cave tour in Great Basin. Check out both sides of Zion NP as one is very different from the other...(I wouldn't hike the narrows in Oct., water too cold for me).
You'll have a great trip...oh, if u don't already have them, I suggest reservations for Zion NP. Oh, if the N. rim is closed....assuming there isn't alot of snow, you can still see the north rim by goin into the Kiaba N. F. ie Crazy Jug Point (we camped here in our 5th wheel all by our selves for a few days a couple of years ago....was great but a chore getting the camper back there....not an issue for a car or truck tho.
2014 Lance 825, '98 Dodge 2500 Diesel

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
Keep adding to my list. Now, to look at the map also and see what's what or rather's what's where ๐Ÿ™‚ Kids are both in college so our first trip where we can be more flexible! We are hoping to do the Narrows, but won't do Angels Landing. I am fit, but scared of heights. dcason we will hopefully meet you at Zion.
2003 Nash 21 5R
Twin Honda EU2000i

IA_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Southern Utah is one of our favorite destinations. Zion: Watchman campground if possible, hike to Angel's Landing if your fit. Bryce: dinner at Lodge, hike into Canyon (Navaho Loop). Utah route 12: beautiful drive (don't let people scare you away from this it not bad and a good road), hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls from Calf Creek Rec. area (try to do this so you're at the falls about noon for best photos). Capital Reef: pie at homestead, nice campground at Fruita. North Rim of GC: Not far from these other sites but may or may not be open in October.

Hope you have a great trip.

ClassBGirl
Explorer
Explorer
We loved Capitol Reef, simply awesome with those majestic granite formations rising up from the canyon floor. While you are at Capitol Reef be sure to have a piece of the delicious fruit pies locally made and sold at the Gifford Homestead!!! We stayed a Wonderland RV Park in the Torrey area which was small,32 sites, but very well kept and clean, with lots of green grass which our dog loved.

Bryce Canyon is so beautiful. If possible head there for a sunrise for a beautiful sight. While at Bryce we stayed at Ruby's Inn Campground. Huge over 150 sites, desert like with lots of dirt and gravel but well kept and some trees.

Enjoy your trip, take lots of pictures, and prepare for some cold desert nights in October!!! Average Oct. temps at Capitol Reef are 60's daytime and 20's at night.
2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108DS (Murphy bed & dinette slide) with
Extreme Weather & Off Road pkgs., plus Heated and Enclosed Tanks

2018 Ford F-150 4x4 Super Cab 5.0L V8 with Tow Mode

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
We started at St. George and went through Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, visited a state park , Goblin i believe. Went north to interstate and came south again to pick up Arches and Canyonland. Went South from Moab to Blanding. Have a neat little museum at visitor's center, and a state park in town has a neat museum also. Went west from there to Hovensweep. Long drive but worth seeing, Indian ruins.
Went from there to south rim of Grand Canyon. Beautiful trip , wish we could repeat it, so much too see. Wish we would have stopped at a little museum, Anasazie people, before we got to Torey. Have fun!

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hike The Narrows if you can. Amazing.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
Just found roadsideamerica.com, where you can click on a state and they give you "odd" things you can find and visit ๐Ÿ™‚

rbtglove, we have never been to Great Basin before, but are looking forward to it. Upper Lehman closes in October, so not sure if it will be open when we get there. I am sure it is dependent on weather. Climb was steep, but doable, I am assuming?

Wow! Several votes for the Animal Sanctuary. I gotta write all this down!
2003 Nash 21 5R
Twin Honda EU2000i

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Cottonwood Rd thru the Paria River area.
Camped in every state