cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lookout Mt. Incline railway

betsypupcdx
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm planning to revisit Lookout MT, haven't been there since a child (over 50 yrs). I'm limited in how far I can walk due to bad knees. I want to ride the incline railway,
I'm thinking it would be better to board the railway at the top of the Mt. That would let me be closer to the other attractions such as Ruby Falls.
Any suggestions??
Thanks
LInda
Tye & Linda
Ch Shana's Bbonded-N-Insured UDX VER RA aka "Brinks"
Sketchbook Four the Record CD BN RN aka "Ali"
(standard schnauzers)
10 REPLIES 10

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
bartletttraveller wrote:
get on the tram at the bottom of the mountain. Plenty of handicap parking. There are many steps at the top. was there in August 2015.

X4 or X5 (lost count). Plenty of parking at the bottom (St. Elmo), and not much at the top. Also, parking at the top doesn't offer any advantages as far as Ruby Falls is concerned. While the walk within the cave to Ruby Falls isn't particularly tough, it is a walk without handicap access or services. Well worth the entrance fee otherwise.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

bartletttravell
Explorer
Explorer
get on the tram at the bottom of the mountain. Plenty of handicap parking. There are many steps at the top. was there in August 2015.
Jim & Judy
2003 Coachmen Aurora
3380MBS

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
What about the one in Colorado?

Tell us about it.

ON I 90 at the border between Montana and Idaho! Skied there back in 1954-55. Don't know if the ski area is still there??
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you staying at? I would say St. Elmo is better...also as was mentioned...Ruby Falls wouldn't be good.
Mark

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
We always park at the bottom, ride it up, look around a bit then come back down and drive back up the the other attractions. I've never had good luck parking near the top of the Incline.

Parking is much better at the St. Elmo station than at the top. Like others have said not sure how well a person that does not walk well would do at Ruby Falls. I haven't been in 30 years, but it wasn't ADA compliant then. May well have issues at Rock City as well. In any case none of mountain the attractions are within walking distance of each other.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Tell us about it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We always park at the bottom, ride it up, look around a bit then come back down and drive back up the the other attractions. I've never had good luck parking near the top of the Incline.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Chatanooga, TN? I found the web pages.

If you are arriving with someone, perhaps have them drop you at the entrance to save you some walking. There are disabled parking spaces both at top and bottom incline stations, but my experience (not in TN) is that those are always full. Once you are on the incline car, you'll be fine.

Ruby Falls has a 4/5 mile walking tour, no wheelchair access, some stairs.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip as much as you can!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia, Lookout Mountain
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu