cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Los Algadones Dentist?

Superbee_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Wife may need a root canal or crown, any names of good dentist? If a crown is needed, do they make the imprint of the tooth and you have to come back a different day or do they have a lab that makes they while you wait? Do they have a person that does root canals on site? Do you make an appointment or just show up and wait your turn? How far of a walk is it across the bridge, like Progresso near Texas. Thanks ahead for the answers! Jim
32 REPLIES 32

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Algodones: Sani Dental Group...

So I said to myself, self let's go take a look see.

Found this to be an excellent read CLICKY.I think a person will take from it, what they want to see. Some will say that's great, others may say that's nuts.

Another Good Read I think the point is to do your research - I've had two USA caps replaced so sometimes things happen.

JMHO
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
my thinking on this is that if anyone got an infection, that place would close down. Would they risk that? I would think any of the dentists would be adequate? Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but if they weren't good, they would lose business....?
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Found this to be an excellent read CLICKY.I think a person will take from it, what they want to see. Some will say that's great, others may say that's nuts..
Half of her crowns failed, and were replaced. That's not something I'd look forward to.

My bigger concern would be for him. He needs a cat scan to verify his bone graft was OK. My BIL lost his leg because of an infection in his ankle bone after an accident.

Once you get a bone infection, good luck getting rid of it. If I was him, I would ASAP get a second opinion before it is too late.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I've removed the word 'cheap', hoping that will quell the onset of vitriol.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:
It's interesting that some of you don't get it. What it is, in a couple of words,.... insufficient funds.
Which is, in all likelihood, a common problem for those seeking cheap dental care.

If you could buy a brand new RV for $50,000 in the U.S. and the very same thing in Mexico for $10,000, do you mean you'd pay the U.S. price?

Getting something identical for a much more reasonable price has absolutely nothing to do with being 'cheap'. It has everything to do with being 'smart'.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
It's interesting that some of you don't get it. What it is, in a couple of words,.... insufficient funds.
Which is, in all likelihood, a common problem for those seeking dental care.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
It's interesting that some of you don't get it. What it is, in a couple of words,.... insufficient funds. It's either give it my best shot on finding a suitable Mexican dentist/clinic, or multiple applications of Ambesol until the teeth get loose enough to put the pliers to them (then live the rest of life on soft food).

You'll hear good and bad about everything everywhere. Canadian dentists generally love to criticize many British dentistry work when they emigrate here, and we pay far more than USA rates, and when we question it they try to justify why we should get it all done here. I was quoted over C$30,000 for work I had done in Mexico over 4 years ago for a little over US$3K (at par if I recall then!), chewing a gum mint I unsecured one cap and got it reinstalled here and the dentist I used said, could have happened with anyone's install, and overall the work was very very good.

Even the plates hubby and I paid US$200/250 for over the past four years as shape of mouth has changed, for identical material here we were quoted C$1250 and C$1680 at different times.

To each their own, and wherever you go there's good and bad in all trades. Personally we couldn't justify/afford the huge difference and have been happy with Los Algondones since initial nervousness going in 2009, so 6+ years now. We asked a million questions about water used, hygiene, auto claves and were shown sealed tools before being seen too.

We are in the Happy camp FWIW.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's interesting that some of you don't get it. What it is, in a couple of words,.... insufficient funds. It's either give it my best shot on finding a suitable Mexican dentist/clinic, or multiple applications of Ambesol until the teeth get loose enough to put the pliers to them (then live the rest of life on soft food).
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
If you can afford the dental prices in the US, then get it done here. If you can't afford US prices but can afford Mexican prices, get it done in Mexico and try to get a good dentist. If you can't afford either, then this whole question is moot. If I was in the second category, then I would certainly try a Mexican dentist rather than going without dental care.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
The past 12 years my wife & I have had all our dental work done in Mexico with no problems and enough in savings to pay for a couple of winters in the south.
I am sure there are many bad dentists in the USA & in Mexico. We did our research and have been 100% satisfied with our Mexican dentists.
pawatt

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Found this to be an excellent read CLICKY.I think a person will take from it, what they want to see. Some will say that's great, others may say that's nuts..
Half of her crowns failed, and were replaced. That's not something I'd look forward to.

Sure, you can have bad dental work done anywhere, but, for my buck, your chances of having bad work done in Mexico are greater than in the US. To each his own.

I had a root-canal done last summer. Cost: $2200. I'll gladly pay that to have the peace of mind it's done correctly..the first time.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
A little off topic, but this is how I view Mexico:

DW wanted a new hammock since our old one was getting nasty looking. Went over to Progresso with friends last winter, had a great time. She saw many hammocks that she wanted, but to me the price was too high for something I could not return. I would rather buy it in the US.

End of day she found a very nice looking one for $80. I figure in a boutique store it would go for $100-$120, on sale with a coupon about $75. When I started to walk away the gentleman came down in price all the way to $40. Figured I could get him to $30, but it looked like he needed the $10 more then me. DW was thrilled with her new $40 hammock.

This summer I installed the posts and hung the hammock at the right level, did a very nice job. DW sat in it and went straight to the ground. The fabric had so much stretch she resembled a water balloon when you first start to fill it. For her (she ain't heavy either) not to hit the ground would require me to put it so high she would need a stepladder to get in it. So now we have a very pretty $40 yard art hammock.

YMMV

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Superbee Jim wrote:
So are these dentist that you know about or have had good recommdations? Thanks again, Jim

These are dentists we've gone to over a 16-year period during our travels. Our teeth are good so basically only cleaning except for the one crown which has been trouble-free for 6 years now. SaniGroup was not pushy about doing extra work. They spoke good English and were easy to communicate with and had many patients. The complex was spotless. All of the dentists were recommended to us by other satisfied RVers. We would recommend SaniGroup for Algodonas.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Algodones: Sani Dental Group...

So I said to myself, self let's go take a look see.

Found this to be an excellent read CLICKY.I think a person will take from it, what they want to see. Some will say that's great, others may say that's nuts.

We have a northern friend who goes to a dentist here in the states to be evaluated, and one in Mexico to do the work. Back to the states and over and over. This to me makes a lot of common sense. The states side dentist is good with it, and verify all is well.

Red flags shoot up when I hear friends talk about the high cost of X-rays here(I pay $10/tooth), expensive US cleanings (I pay $50 for an hour no doctor, $75 with doctor check up), and how multiple crowns are so affordable in Mexico, when my US dentist might suggest I need ONE every 5-10 years.

Friends received fillings based on soft teeth in Mexico, in the US I haven't heard that term for maybe 20 years. If all you're doing is working with Mexican dental, how do you really know you're getting a great deal or not?

I guess with modern dentistry the best practice is not to do dentures. They are no-longer an option in the dental schools I was told. Sounds like extractions are still pretty common south.