cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lums Pond SP DE, Tuckahoe SP MD or St. Michaels MD

Haley
Explorer
Explorer
Going to St. Michaels MD for the Mid Atlantic Small Craft (boat) Festival this weekend. Will be tent camping. Closest place seems to be Tuckahoe State Park MD. Lums Pond State Park DE also is attractive with its ropes course for the teens.

Anyone have any thoughts on these two places or other locations close to St. Michaels MD. These parks are not exactly close, but are between us (Rochester NY) and St. Michaels. Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John H.
7 REPLIES 7

Haley
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick note offering thanks again. Crazy trip. Was off then on again. Short notice. No vacancy at Lums but ended up at Elk Neck State Park MD. Real nice!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John H.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now, if you really want to spend some serious money & play with the big boys, you could go across the Bay & pay to go to the Annapolis Powerboat Show this weekend.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Haley
Explorer
Explorer
Great feedback - thank you.

The museum does actually offer camping onsite if you register with them @ $95 per person. That includes seminars, food for the weekend and such. $190 for the weekend for us two all inclusive.

I think if you take advantage of everything that is offered with their package it is a good value. For us, not so much.

Thank you for the great feedback. Leaning towards Tuckahoe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John H.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
Lum's Pond is quite far from St. Michaels.

As mentioned already, Martinak State Park, MD is also close to St. Michael's.

Tuckahoe is probably a tiny bit closer to St. Michael's (compared to Martinak) and has the most "private" campsite areas of the three. The sites are pretty well separated and most have brush around them.

Tuckahoe also has a nice frisbee golf course. Make sure you bring some frisbees as the teens can spend some quality time there arguing over the rules while they play. Or maybe Dad can show them how it's done.

Tuckahoe has a nice little lake with boat ramp (electric motors only) and waterfront area that is a 3 mile drive or one mile hike through the woods to get to. Very peaceful place - both the campsites and the day-use area at the lake.

Tuckahoe also has an adventure area including some high ropes and a zip line at the far end of the group campsites - but I don't know how often it is open. The ropes area is pretty well hidden - it is near the non-electric loop in Tuckahoe, across the field where the group campers park.

Martinak is nice also and is popular with motor boaters and fishermen as they can use the boat ramp right in the park to put into the tidal river - just a short walk from the campsites. The campsites at Martinak are a little closer together than at Tuckahoe and the underbrush is not as dense so not as much privacy between sites.

Both Martinak and Tuckahoe are wooded campsites. The underbrush at Tuckahoe is denser so it has a little more secluded and private feeling.

You can probably tell I like Tuckahoe better. It is my favorite local campground that I camp at 2 or 3 times each year. But I sometimes go to Martinak if Tuckahoe is not available.

If you are into small boats, you might enjoy Martinak better as you can walk to the boat ramp and watch the entertainment. Lots of local people and campers put their boats in there. The river there is tidal, wide and navigable for miles - all the way to the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean probably.

Ed

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A shame they don't have camping right there at the museum grounds.

We have done Tuckahoe & Martinak. Martinak has become our most often visited though Tuckahoe is also very nice. Timewise from each, flip a coin.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Mr__Patches
Explorer
Explorer
Tuckahoe SP also has my vote, I've stayed there four times this year. It's a nice quiet park with exceptional Rangers.

Rich & Miss Ivy
BunFest Express II

sunlinesunshine
Explorer
Explorer
I think Tuckahoe SP is your best choice for day trips to St. Michaels. It's the closest for sure. We've camped there several times, and it's a popular park. We usually camp at Martinak SP (about 5 miles East of Tuckahoe). That's a great park too, they both offer fishing, hiking etc.. Martinak has a boat ramp with access to the Choptank river, if you have a boat with you.

Have a great time!
BLT
2004 F250 4X4
2005 SUNLINE T2753
EQUILIZER/ENVOY