cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mammoth Area Camping - Inyo NF

fbergski
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody been up camping near Mammoth in the forest?. Plan on heading out tomorrow afternoon til Saturday morning. Plan to disperse camp.

Thx
4 REPLIES 4

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were just in that area, boondocking. Lots of stuff available, but lots of folks already camping in the forests. Best bet -- go to the Inyo Nat Forest site and download the MVUMs. Get the Avenza app on your phone, too.

Then spend some time with your desktop, opening two windows: the MVUM and Google Earth. Fly around the roads on Google Earth, looking for campsites that correlate with the roads on the MVUM that are rated for boondocking. (The legend on the map tells the tale.) The existing boondocking sites are easy to see on Google Earth with a decent monitor -- zoom in and look for fire rings.

One more tip -- get the iHikeGPS app. Download the topo maps for the area you are interested in. Mark your potential waypoints on the app so that you can easily locate them when you get to the mountains. Once you have downloaded the topo, the app works without cell coverage!!

Be prepared to do some scouting when you get to the area before choosing a campsite.

Yes, this is a lot of work, but it is worth it not to be stuck in a campground.

Also, note that some RV parks in that area no longer allow public sani-dumping, even for a fee. Call for info!!

One more tip -- bring mosquito repellent if you are going up there in July. But you probably already knew that. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
I read somewhere that so many people are dispersed camping in the forest around there it was becoming a mess. Many dumping trash and tanks in the forest. City of Mammoth has asked dispersed campers to use the dump station at the Water District facility in Mammoth City and not dump in the forest. They have opened a lot, not all, of the National Forest campgrounds in Mammoth and June Lakes to try get people out of the forest.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Nat For north of town on the east side of 395 a lot for boondocking. Obsidian Road is really good. Nice open ppine forests with some level spots and nobody up there.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have not, but if you log onto Campendium.com and search Mammoth, Mammoth Lakes, CA comes up and there are several dispersed/boondocking postings listed with good reviews. Some with bad reviews. You have to create an account there to see the photos, but it's a free site and one that I always check when planning a trip.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton