cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manatee state park in Chiefland,Fla

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I just made our reservations for next July 1-6 at this park. I was wanting any info good or bad about the park and about things to see and do around the area. We will be in site 79. It will be just is and our little traveling buddy our little dog. I have red all the reviews just wanted to hear from anyone on here that has been. It has been almost 30 years since I have been down to this park. Thanks in advance
21 REPLIES 21

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious wanted to bring this back up and see if anybody has been to manatee springs in the last couple months or if anybody is there now. They changed the site numbers around and we will now be in the hickory loop site 004. I would appreciate if anybody is there now or has been there in the last few months that may have pics let me know what it is like. I have read all the reviews and would like recent pic if anybody has any especially since they changed the site numbers around just to see if it is the same site I reserved. Thanks in advance

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks fla-Gyspy that was a good read it sounds as if it will be nice looking forward to it. Looking as if my next trip this year may be in October a weekend trip with the grandkids then thanksgiving week going to Henderson beach for a week.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Barren wrote:
Yea your right Fla Gyspy that was why I wanted info from folks that had been recently. You would think the park system would at least put some pictures out there to show what was done. I know from past experience when they do upgrades like adding septic most of the time alot of the shade and privacy around sites is comprised at least for a little while

Found this

https://depnewsroom.wordpress.com/2015/07/06/florida-park-service-opens-renovated-park-service-in-ch...
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Yea your right Fla Gyspy that was why I wanted info from folks that had been recently. You would think the park system would at least put some pictures out there to show what was done. I know from past experience when they do upgrades like adding septic most of the time alot of the shade and privacy around sites is comprised at least for a little while

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Be advised they just finished a CG upgrade project so photos shown by others may no longer be valid. Getting details on exactly what they did has been very difficult. The FSP system is terrible at public communication.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
CommuterCruiser wrote:
I was a bit concerned an armadillo was going to join us at the campfire. Anyone know if they like s'mores? ๐Ÿ™‚

I suspect they would.

Note: 'Dillos carry Leprosy. Not to be handled.

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed in Manatee Springs a few days in November 2014. We were in Magnolia 2 Loop #57. Wish it had been a bit warmer, both of us wanted to dive in the clear waters, but too chilly for me.

Enjoyed a long bike ride on a bike trail to a bridge over the Suwanee River. Only one manatee in residence at the time, but the deer were everywhere and it's the only campground I've ever stayed in where I was a bit concerned an armadillo was going to join us at the campfire. Anyone know if they like s'mores? ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy, we loved it.

Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Manatee Springs State Park several times and enjoyed each visit. Getting up early in the morning and walking the boardwalk down along the spring run to the St Johns River is always a treat.

Here are some pictures and comments.

Enjoy your tip.

WxToad
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I've been there a couple of times, the last during October, 2013. Some photos of the campground, including my site (19) here. There are also a few of Cedar Key & Shellmound County Park (near Cedar Key & less expensive) on nearby pages.

I also recommend Tony's Clam Chowder - New England Clam Chowder with a kick.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
sdianel wrote:
Roads are sand and sites are sand.

Oops. Guess I won't be going there on the bike then.
It might be a while before I get to check it out in a car.

It's paved from the gate all the way back to the spring area. It just turns to sand once you get on the campground loop. You could easily drive back to the spring area, park, and walk the campground loop in 10min.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We were on site #66 last March, and found the park to be acceptable, but not as nice as some of the other FL state parks. The site separation was minimal, and the sand was difficult to keep out of our coach. Our site was on Magnolia Loop 2, and Magnolia loop 1 was undergoing a complete rebuild, so hopefully things have improved there. Cell service was quite weak, although our amplifier and external antenna did keep us well connected during our stay. In Chiefland, our favorite breakfast stop quickly became "Bett's Big T Restaurant", a former truck stop. Good food, large servings, friendly staff, and very reasonable prices made Bett's our morning go to spot when we didn't feel like fixing something ourselves. All in all, I'd say Manatee was a good place to visit, but I doubt we'll go out of our way to go there again. There are too many other FL SP's we haven't seen yet. Next spring, Rainbow Springs and Stephen Foster will be our two new FL state parks to check out, preceded by return visits to Alafia River SP and Midway NPS Campground in January.

Site #66 Manatee Springs SP
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

spro2395
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I have reservations for sit 13 (I think) for this weekend. I hope this rain lets up by then!
01 Dodge QC 1500 Shasta 256

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
Roads are sand and sites are sand.

Oops. Guess I won't be going there on the bike then.
It might be a while before I get to check it out in a car.

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
My bad we enjoy hiking, fishing, outdoor stuff. We live in the country thanks for the mention about the ticks and snakes. We will definitely try the barbeque I have noticed that everyone has mentioned that