cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mi to Acadia and Bay of Fundy New Brunswick

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Looking ahead to next year and hoping for suggestions. Traveling with 2 teenagers and an 11 year old in a 35 foot TT.
We will have 16 days and can travel up to 650 miles per day. We're all seasoned travelers, this is our norm.

We'll be leaving southeastern Michigan and heading to Acadia and the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick.
I'm looking for campground suggestions and must see places to visit in these places and en route.
Top priority for the kids is to "eat lobster." I'd like to take them whale watching as well.
We are nature lovers so hiking and natural elements interest us the most. We are not interested in visiting Montreal or Toronto en route. Niagara is only 4 hours from home so that's out as well.
Any campgrounds recommendations are appreciated. We need electricity at least. We don't mind KOA and even value the amenities on occasion.
Also, any advice of avoiding crowds in Acadia?
Thanks
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog
6 REPLIES 6

Louseman
Explorer
Explorer
We did this trip in 2012. It was a great time. The tides in the Bay of Fundy are incredible.

The boat ramp in Alma at high and low tide:

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
There is a big hill coming out of Fundy National Park heading down to Alma.

Indeed there is! Big rigs do navigate it frequently but it does require breaks be in good working order. OP has a TT and a truck so he should have no issues.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
For lobster, we like Thurston's in Bernard---- it's on the quiet side on Mt Desert Island. We stay at Narrows Too , will be there for the month of July this year.
For hiking, pick up a trails map... there are several great hikes for all levels of skill and stamina within Acadia National Park. Get out pretty early and you'll beat most of the crowds. Seems that about 11:00 or so, things get crowded and parking difficult.
If you have bikes, ride the Carriage roads. Gives you great views of the interior of the park. Bikes are also available for rental.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
1. Acadia is crowded starting Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day with crowds winding down until foliage season. If you must visit over the summer visit the park during the week.
2. Bar Harbor KOA is a great kick-off point for Acadia. It is a little further out and expensive but they do lobster bakes and pancake breakfasts in the campground. There are lots of activities in the cg as well.
3. You can whale watch out of Bar Harbor as well. The run a cat boat (catamaran, dual hull) which is quite stable.
4. From a location standpoint, I'd recommend staying in Fundy National Park. Your trailer should fit in Headquarters Campground. Look up the reviews-last time we were there (maybe 8 years or so ago) it was looking a little run down.
5. Visit Hopewell Rocks in Hopewell Cape https://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/index.php/en/home. Pay attention to the tide charts.
6. Go to Moncton and view the tidal bore.
7. For a hokey attraction go to Magnetic Hill in Moncton. It's an illusion that you are going backwards uphill. There is an amusement park near there as well https://www.magicmountain.ca/.
8. Be sure to visit the town of Alma just outside Fundy National Park. Their peanut butter cookies and sticky buns are wonderful!

There is a big hill coming out of Fundy National Park heading down to Alma. I had my brakes smoking on my old 2000 Adventurer. It was a bit scary. Alma was a neat little place to visit. We bought lobster at the seafood store. We actually spent the night in the parking lot, as it was closed when we got there. Spent the night on the beach partying with all the locals.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
1. Acadia is crowded starting Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day with crowds winding down until foliage season. If you must visit over the summer visit the park during the week.
2. Bar Harbor KOA is a great kick-off point for Acadia. It is a little further out and expensive but they do lobster bakes and pancake breakfasts in the campground. There are lots of activities in the cg as well.
3. You can whale watch out of Bar Harbor as well. The run a cat boat (catamaran, dual hull) which is quite stable.
4. From a location standpoint, I'd recommend staying in Fundy National Park. Your trailer should fit in Headquarters Campground. Look up the reviews-last time we were there (maybe 8 years or so ago) it was looking a little run down.
5. Visit Hopewell Rocks in Hopewell Cape https://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/index.php/en/home. Pay attention to the tide charts.
6. Go to Moncton and view the tidal bore.
7. For a hokey attraction go to Magnetic Hill in Moncton. It's an illusion that you are going backwards uphill. There is an amusement park near there as well https://www.magicmountain.ca/.
8. Be sure to visit the town of Alma just outside Fundy National Park. Their peanut butter cookies and sticky buns are wonderful!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
Please, donโ€™t miss the Schoodic Peninsular. Several campgrounds outside National Park (Acadia) and a beautiful one within the park. I would reserve immediately. We have managed to stay twice without reservations,but it was not during the โ€œseasonโ€. See what the coast of Maine was like hundreds of years ago and get the kids lobsters at a more reasonable price.