Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michigan Upper Peninsula

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Folks,

Another trip we're going on in July 17 for probably 3 weeks or so. Same thing please. Could you folks offer up your best to do, to see, must eats for the UP? Traveling in a 5W. Thanks!

Brent
23 REPLIES 23

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
Drummond Island on the extreme eastern edge is fun. There is a mile long ferry. It takes semis and campers. It is quite remote. It is fun to rent quads and ride the Maxon Plains. Or just drive around as much as the paved roads allow. There are campgrounds. I second the vote for Engineer Day with the michigan National Guard up in the Soo. You can camp right on the St. Mary's River and watch the big ships go by.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
Yes, if you pronounce it Paste-ee instead of Past-ee, you may get something completely different (and perhaps get a slapped face too!)

Nah. They're used to tourists who can't pronounce pasty. Or Mackinac. Or Sault Ste Marie.

True. But Mackinaw, or Salt Ste Marie don't have another meaning.
Paste-ee does!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, if you pronounce it Paste-ee instead of Past-ee, you may get something completely different (and perhaps get a slapped face too!)

Nah. They're used to tourists who can't pronounce pasty. Or Mackinac. Or Sault Ste Marie.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
To add to the places mentioned in the UP-- On the SW side of the UP is a campground right in Gladstone "Gladstone Bay Campground" It is right on the bay, walking distance from the town of Gladstone, has a nice boardwalk over the wetland, nice beach.

On the extreme eastern side of the UP is Drummond Island. There is a ferry over to the island. Logging trucks cross on the ferry, so you certainly can take your RV across. There a a couple of campgrounds on the Island. It is more rugged, and not quaint like Mackinac Island. It is a much different experience. We have gone there every year for the last decade.

And I might add, I like my pasty with a pat of butter. ๐Ÿ™‚

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
Brent and Gina wrote:
Pasties or is it Pastys? Sounds like a plan!

Before ordering one you need to know how to pronounce 'pastie'. It's PAST ee. ๐Ÿ™‚ They are delicious!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Brent and Gina wrote:

Before ordering one you need to know how to pronounce 'pastie'. It's PAST ee. ๐Ÿ™‚ They are delicious!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
When I had a summer job on Mackinac Island, everyone there called all the tourists "fudgies." That was waaaay back in 1977; I wonder if they still do that? Hummm, I met a girl there on the island, and we took a weekend trip to camp out (on the ground in sleeping bags, no less) at Interlochen and went into Traverse City to see the original "Star Wars" movie, just released. Good memories. We dated for a couple of years. I thought about marrying that girl, but she was too headstrong for my taste and not as good-hearted as she seemed. Glad I waited and found my current wife of 36 years, she's as nice a person as they come.

But I digress.....

Great story.
We did this trip and more just last Summer.
What exactly is your question?

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a summer job on Mackinac Island, everyone there called all the tourists "fudgies." That was waaaay back in 1977; I wonder if they still do that? Hummm, I met a girl there on the island, and we took a weekend trip to camp out (on the ground in sleeping bags, no less) at Interlochen and went into Traverse City to see the original "Star Wars" movie, just released. Good memories. We dated for a couple of years. I thought about marrying that girl, but she was too headstrong for my taste and not as good-hearted as she seemed. Glad I waited and found my current wife of 36 years, she's as nice a person as they come.

But I digress.....
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It's really quirky but if you're around Ishpeming check out 'Da Yoopers Tourist Trap'.

http://dayoopers.com/

Definitely treat yourself to some pasties for a meal. They're awesome.

Do take the ferry to Mackinac Island. It's fun.

A little Michigan trivia: Yoopers are those that live in the Upper Peninsula; Trolls are those that live south of the Mackinac Bridge (under the bridge), and Fudgies are tourists who enjoy the tasty treat!

Hope you enjoy Michigan. It's a beautiful state.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome tips and sites to see guys! Sure appreciate all the help you'd like to give.
Brent

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really liked Munising Tourist Park Campground. Located on the bay, we had a water front site! As was said the boat tours are great! You can also rent a pontoon boat and do your own exploring of Grand Island!

Loved it up there. But definitely go later July or August! We were there July 6-9 and it was cold!!!!! 55 and rainy when we arrived and 60 and sunny when we left! A week later it was in the 80's. still beautiful though.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's a nice CG almost midway between Munising and Manistique called Jack Pine. Real nice place, and you could use that as a base camp for sightseeing in the middle of the UP for several nights. Close to Germfask, which has canoe and kayak rentals as well as some of the other spots people already mentioned.

My favorite UP place is Union Bay CG in the Porkies. Plenty to do there and within an hour's drive, even more to see and do.
http://www.uptravel.com/
http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/maps/statemichigan.shtml

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
Kitchi Ti Kippi is a must see! (Google it ๐Ÿ™‚ )

A very cool stop !

dewey02 wrote:
And you definitely need to eat a pasty - spelled with a "y". Make sure it has red onions and rutabagas in it.

Content varies from shop to shop. Purest say meat potato and carrot, only. I had heard other say rutabaga AND parsnip. I have never spent enough time in the UP to try all the varieties.

I have had chicken pastys and they are good.