cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milwaukee Area Campgrounds for a 5th Wheel

msabel
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on traveling to the Milwaukee Area this August. Have been to this area before, but never in a 5th wheel, very nice area, lots of things to do, would appreciate any feedback on some good campgrounds in the Area to check into.

Not sure if this is the correct Forum, but it does pertain to our 5th wheel. I don't want to get Trapped in an RV park, that is full of trees, tight spots, and my unit is too big. This has happened to me before, no fun, for me, or my rig. I am not opposed to trees, just as long as I can make the turns in the campground and back in and out without issues.

Would appreciate a listing of any RV parks you would recommend in that area.
2016 Big Horn 3585RE
2009 Chevy Duramax Turbo Diesel
Firestone Air Ride Shocks
7 REPLIES 7

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
like mentioned above, Ottawa lake is nice. another state park is pike lake about 30 miles nw of Milwaukee between Hartford and slinger on hwy 60. we stay in sites 29 and 31 which are nice, big, and easy to get into. you have to drive through the rest of the loop, which is narrow, to get to these but if you go slow you would make it.
playful goose is too far away at about 55 miles.

msabel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your help, sounds like Cliff side is a good Choice.
2016 Big Horn 3585RE
2009 Chevy Duramax Turbo Diesel
Firestone Air Ride Shocks

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you will have good response to your question in the
"RV Parks, Campgrounds, and Attractions" forum. I will move this thread to that forum. Good luck.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
dapperdan wrote:

A little closer to Milwaukee is a city park in Racine called Cliffside just to the south of Milwaukee. That's a nice place as well and they have water and elec at most sites with a dump station.

We've stayed at both places and are VERY easy to get into and out of.

Dan

I'll second the recommendation for Clifside (http://publicworks.racineco.com/camp/index.aspx) We live nearby and have sometimes "commuter camped" from there just to use the trailer. Just a really nice, big rig friendly park.

State Fair park is more central to everything in the Milwaukee area, but as a resident of Milwaukee County I see nothing appealing about it, staying there that is. Also they are rebuilding the Zoo interchange which affects State Fair park. This will not be complete until 2018. Personally we avoid the area unless we have to be there. State Fair is Aug 4-14 so if you want to be there at that time best make your reservations now.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed up in Horicon, at the Playful Goose, but, it's been a while. There a good meat markets in Horicon that sell brats. I also enjoyed a boat trip out on the Horicon Marsh, and touring some of the cheese factories, like in Theresa.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how close to Milwaukee you want or need to stay but there is a beautiful campground about twenty miles west of Milwaukee near Eagle WI. Ottawa lake state park, there are a lot of sites with electric, you'd have to fill your fresh water tank on the way in, there's a dump station for when you leave.

A little closer to Milwaukee is a city park in Racine called Cliffside just to the south of Milwaukee. That's a nice place as well and they have water and elec at most sites with a dump station.

We've stayed at both places and are VERY easy to get into and out of.

Dan

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The Milwaukee State Fair Grounds has a huge CG with hookups. No trees and wide open spaces!! The fairgrounds is the ONLY RV park in metro Milwaukee.

Only thing is the Fair is around the second week in August. It will be full up with exhibitors. Wouldn't hurt to call or look at their website for open sites though the rates are higher during events held there.

So depends 'when' you plan your trip to Milwaukee. The CG is in West Ellis right on the edge of Milwaukee.

http://wistatefair.com/wsfp/overnight-accommodations/
scroll down to bottom

If you can't get a full hook up with sewer not to worry there are dump stations at each and every barn on the fairgrounds. You just have to look for them.

Hope some of this info helps! And BTW, IMHO the Milwaukee State Fair IS THE BEST FAIR in the world, like no other and HUGE! You might want to go there and just stay and enjoy it!! It will take you 2 days to even attempt to see it all!! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.