cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Montana

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Glacier National Park first part of August. We fulltime so in no hurry. So what in the state is a must see that has great campsites.Thank
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
21 REPLIES 21

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is one of the sources I use when looking for interesting places:

Atlas Obscura Montana
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Everything in Montana is going to be packed solid. Glacier Park has gone to a reservation system for admittance. You will have to be lucky to find any space to park your RV, with our without hookups and boondocking outside of designated camping spots is not allowed. And this is not taking into account any Canadians that would flood across the border should the travel restrictions be removed. If you don't already have reservations, this might not be the best year to travel to Montana.
On another note, businesses in Montana are DESPERATE for employees. Many businesses have had to cut back on hours and services because they simply cannot find employees at virtually any wage. This has led to current employees having to take on more responsibilities and working longer hours. Patience in service oriented businesses is running low, so please give the employees a break.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Janss and 2gs for the info
2gs we don't do rv parks unless it's just for overnight and that's if we can't find federal land or state parks or ect. So any of ur camping areas would be appreciated. We dry camp we are set up to camp that way
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
Fort Peck is a great stopping point if you're enroute east or west but it's not a destination.

The 'good stuff' is mid-Montana and to the West. It just depends what your interests are. We love trout fishing, hiking and boondocking so can't help with RV parks.

Places we've enjoyed are Livingston, Bozeman, Big Sky area, Ennis , Wisdom, Anaconda/Philipsburg, Missoula, Helena, Basin, Glacier NP, Columbia Falls/Kalispell, Bigfork, Polson, Libby

Google 'Montana, Things To Do' and lots of ideas come up.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to Montana several times (have friends there). Glacier is about the only must see, as far as I've experienced. But I'll add a few other things to see/do.

Lewis & Clark Caverns State Park (with campground) in Whitehall
In Bozeman, Museum of the Rockies and a really neat little Computer Museum (you don't have to be a computer nerd to enjoy).
Great Falls has a very good Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center.
In Fort Benton, also a very interesting Museum Complex.

Can't help with campsites...we stay on our friends' property and drive the car around.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Agesilaus thank you! We have been looking but didn't see alot so decided to post. You provided us with more info than we had. Appreciated
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
For such a large western state Montana isn't loaded with must see scenery. Ft Peck is nice and a good campsite, Little Big Horn is worth a couple of hours. Off hand I'm out of federal lands other than the sliver of YNP.
There are lots of state parks tho.
I have Kootenai and Apikuni Falls, Humbug Spires, Gates of the Wilderness and 5 Ghost Towns. Not a very good list.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper