Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mount Rushmore area campground

Joe_in_Texas
Explorer
Explorer
Open for suggestion of campground in the Mount Rushmore
area for a 38ft fifth wheel. (during week after memorial day in May)
Will be in the Mount Rushmore area for 3 days.
Heading to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

Thank You

We belong to Good Sam and Passport America
if discounts may be available.
18 REPLIES 18

sp8gold
Explorer
Explorer
We also had an enjoyable stay at Beaver Lake.

Joe_in_Texas
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your input.....

Just made reservations for May 28 - June 2 at Rafter J Ranch - Island Section.

Joe

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
another vote for beaver lake

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
We couldn't get in Rafter, so stayed at Custers Gulch and Beaver Lake. I do remember Rafter being pricey. We liked Beaver Lake and would stay there again. Cute little bunnies roaming around. There was nothing wrong with Gulch, though. We just liked BL better.

We like FHU, so Custer State Park was not an option for us.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

greyhook
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J. Close to everything, kids loved it, very nice CG, can't wait to go back!

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
Rafter J is great but costs a fortunate. Custer State Park is where I would stay if I went again. Much to see right in the park.

Yep, if you want buffalo in you're campsite this is the place to stay. Beautiful scenery and wildlife. We stayed in the Legion Lake campground within the park. Front campsites should fit just about anything.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J is great but costs a fortunate. Custer State Park is where I would stay if I went again. Much to see right in the park.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Custer KOA is nice.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
We really like this: Rafter J Bar.....LINK

Try to get a site in the "Island" section.

Another vote for Rafter J Bar. And as noted, the Island section is highly desirable.

The Ranch section is heavily wooded and perhaps more of a challenge in getting a rig your size in there, but I've seen big 5th wheels as well as MHs there. Good mix of rigs there, as there's a restroom/bathhouse there as well as laundry facilities.

Another good section is the Lower Ranch section, which has some better accessibility, and within walking distance to the Ranch section if you need to use those facilities.

I've stayed in all 3 and honestly, they are all good locations, but the Island will definitely give you more of a sense of open space.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J Bar Ranch RV Park hands down. Great spot close to all the southern Black Hills stuff.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Custer when we went. Was a very nice campground.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Custer State Park! Game Lodge Campground is the largest, if you need bigger spaces. If you can't get into one of the park campgrounds, but SURE to drive the drives - the Wildlife Loop is best late in the afternoon, the Iron Highway has the most amazing far off view of Mt Rushmore as you approach and The Needles Highway is spectacular. Custer State Park is close to Mt Rushmore, but should have been a National Park. Fortunately for South Dakota, they claimed it as their first state park before the Federal Gov't got around to it.

Click here for my blog review of Custer State Park Campgrounds - with photos.
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
We stayed at "fort welikit" www.blackhillsrv.com Its a great park
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Rafter J Bar. There are other good ones in the area as well. I'd suggest getting the Allstays app.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS