cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mt Rushmore

Antigua1767
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions/recommendations for full RV hookups campgrounds near Mt. Rushmore....mid July, 31.5 foot fifth. Two children, 14 and 11.
Thanks in advance,
AM
2012 Jayco Eagle 31.5FBHS
2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Dually 3500
24 REPLIES 24

Stealth1
Explorer
Explorer
Take a peek at Rushmore Shadows, it's a private Camp Ground. We spent a week there two years ago, staff and facility were wonderful!!
Ken & Anita
Newmar Essex, 45', 4 Slide, Cummins 500 ISM, Custom Graphics
2013 Honda CRV
Good Sam, FMCA, Hoots Nation

CardinalCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Also take a look at Beaverlake Campground.We stayed there 6 days in early april and enjoyed our time there.The owner and staff are 1st class imo.
Charles & Dawn
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT LX
2000 F-250 PSD 7.3 4x4 Hypertech Power Programmer III, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Air Safe 25K Hitch,Yamaha 125cc Vino Scooter.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA four days ago and it was great. It is a destination campground with many campers I talked to staying a week or more. It is the second largest KOA in the franchise, with over 500 sites. We have our 8 and 10 YEar old grandsons with us and they would have spent the rest of the summer there. It is very family oriented, the largest number of staff members I have seen anywhere, other than Disney's Fort Wilderness in Orlando. Most activities for kids, have a staff member present, be it the water slide, the pool, the climbing wall, mini golf, etc. they claim to have over 100 staff at the campground and it is easy to believe. If a person doesn't enjoy being around kids, this is probably not the place for them.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

LindanMick
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
I really enjoyed Big Pine Campground when I was at Rushmore last summer.

Great campground, very woodsy and secluded, and the staff was friendly and accommodating.

We liked this campground also. Custer is a neat town and Hill City has a great steak house, lots to do in the whole area.

jgolden
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J Bar great place. We were there 2 years ago. When you pay to park at Mt Rushmore the ticked covers a long period 10 days I think. The campground is a short ride.
We had breakfast a number of times at the snack bar at Mt Rushmore since we had the parking pass, food not bad and the view (all glass front on the snack bar) as well as the people watching was good day to start the day.
2016 Newmar BayStar Sport Ford F53 chassis down sized from :2001 Newmar MountainAire 350Cummins ISC,Spartan, 2015 GMC Terrain

Mrfast
Explorer
Explorer
Shuttle isn't free anymore--$6.00 per person. I just got back home from Mt. Rushmore KOA (Palmer's Gulch) and I didn't care for it at all! camp spots too close together and it was packed, noisy, atv's running around everywhere just didn't like it at all!

BUT--very close to Mt. Rushmore, easy 5-10 min. drive to park, people were all friendly, still has cheap breakfast--all you can eat pancakes, and lot's and lot's of things for young kids to do!
Chevy Avalanche Z71
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
2000 Class A Allegro M28

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
LindaAnn wrote:
I agree about the KOA--it's close to Mt Rushmore and there's a lot for the children to do...pool, horseback riding, etc. Also, they have a restaurant, a snack area--pizza, ice cream, etc. and they serve an inexpensive pancake breakfast in a huge tent.

Agree with above. It's been 9 years since we were there but our kids were about the same age as yours are now. While I know adults may prefer the "ambiance" of places like Rafter J Bar and so forth, your kids are going to remember what THEY did at the CG. The (Palmer Gulch) KOA also offers free shuttle service to and from the monument, and be sure to take in the nighttime lighting ceremony - very impressive.

An earlier reply noted the road to this KOA was curvy - it is easily negotiable as long as one observes the posted speed limits.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

deansofva
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Moutn Rushmore KOA. We've been twice and love it there.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion -- you might think about staying in Custer -- neat little town and the drive from there to the Mt Rushmore Monument is one that is fun and Beautiful with many different route -- Custer State Park is not to be missed along with the Caves -- Jewel and Wind -- The Black Hills deserve more than just the one day stop so plan your visit to include many of the sites that are available.

We stayed at

Custer's Gultch great spot -- while many think you need a CG with lots to do -- IMHO -- there is so much to do in the area you will only sleep at the CG.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

keepingthelight
Explorer
Explorer
Bob & Ann wrote:
Last year we stayed at Rafter J Bar. Check out their webb site. It is a nice place and rig size is not a problem. Nice pool and a lot of open common areas. It is in south Hill City right at the intersection going to Mt Rushmore. It is like a 10-15 minute drive.

We were there 2 years ago and enjoyed this campground. Beautiful campsite.
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J is a very nice campground, a bit higher in price than some others, but very nicely laid out and with a pool and wifi. Very centrally located. Easy access off a main road but set far back away from traffic noise.

The Palmer Gulch KOA is the one previous posters are referring to, it's very close to Mt. Rushmore and centrally located, but it's located down a curvy mountain road (same road to Mt. Rushmore) so that will add some drive time every day. It's also priced a bit higher than other cg's in the area, but many activities for kids. The downside is it's a KOA and packed closely together, and super busy as KOA's are known to be.

We like to base camp in Custer as it's centrally located to our favorite things. We've stayed at two cg's there. Beaver Lake Campground is just west of town, very nice people working there. Some sites are close but many are spaced nicely. There is wifi and cable and a small pool, along with a waterslide (at an extra charge).

The other Custer cg we've stayed at is The Roost Resort, it's a very small cg but a beautiful location, spaced out nicely, and the owners are very nice people. It's in a great location of between the town of Custer and Custer State Park.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Another vote for Rafter J. By far the best. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I really enjoyed Big Pine Campground when I was at Rushmore last summer.

Great campground, very woodsy and secluded, and the staff was friendly and accommodating.

2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J is the nicest. But the KOA has more for kids to do.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.