cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mt Rushmore

Antigua1767
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions/recommendations for full RV hookups campgrounds near Mt. Rushmore....mid July, 31.5 foot fifth. Two children, 14 and 11.
Thanks in advance,
AM
2012 Jayco Eagle 31.5FBHS
2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Dually 3500
24 REPLIES 24

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
X3 to Rafter J. We will be staying there at the end of July. Campground seems pretty nice to me. Many choices were to park your RV.within the campground Chenck their website.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about the KOA--it's close to Mt Rushmore and there's a lot for the children to do...pool, horseback riding, etc. Also, they have a restaurant, a snack area--pizza, ice cream, etc. and they serve an inexpensive pancake breakfast in a huge tent.

Just to mention--the whole family might enjoy Bear Country USA a few miles away...a drive through park with lots of bears and wolves and other wild animals. It ends with a zoo of baby animals.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best we have ever stayed at.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Rafter J based on experience, but each of these others have their fans and good reviews. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
The Rushmore KOA has lots to do for kids as well as adults and is on the same road as Mt.
Rushmore. Right in the heart of the Black Hills.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we stayed at Rafter J Bar. Check out their webb site. It is a nice place and rig size is not a problem. Nice pool and a lot of open common areas. It is in south Hill City right at the intersection going to Mt Rushmore. It is like a 10-15 minute drive.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the tunnels along highway 16, they line up with the monument. Stop at the second or third one, because the first one (from each direction) is always very crowded. You can take a picture of the monument and the tunnel all around the frame of the picture.

Also when leaving the monument, there is a tiny parking lot to the right, it gives a side shot of Washington's head.

I love dry camping, and stayed at Custer State Park. No hookups though. It was near a self guided tour, you can take in a car, to see wildlife.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horse Thief Campground is a very nice private campground located on Needles HWY just outside of Hill City. great views of the surrounding hills.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Haven't been there yet but we are staying at the Horse Thief CG in June. I've seen a number of people here recommend it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
We liked the koa nearby. Large cg. They also run a schoolbus to the park. I suggest seeing it at night. Simply awesome. Look it up on koa.com