cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Must-sees on NY, PA

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
We will be visiting friends on the Ohio/Pennsylvania border in early June, then going to Niagara for a day or two.
After that, we have about a week to 10 days to spend in the New York/Pennsylvania area before heading for home.
I need suggestions for things to see and places to stay (37 foot 5th wheel & prefer full hookups w/50 amps)
Philadelphia and Gettysburg are possibilities, but we're pretty much open for any suggestions.
Thanks
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/
19 REPLIES 19

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Well if your travels take you along I-88 in NY, stop by Brooks House of BBQ in Oneonta, NY (closed on Mondays).
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
We've enjoyed Tompkins
Part of Cowanesque Lake
when we've traveled North on RT 15.

Clean - easy Lake and great area.

Just one more option,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Letchworth is very nice. If you go south on 390 /pa 15s when you get into Pa stop at the visitor center ( rest stop) they have lots of good info on PA. Traveling south of the rest stop is Rt 6 and the PA Grand Canyon ( Wellsboro) .Going west of Wellsboro on Rt 6 is the PA Lumber Museum( CC Camp info). Getting back on 15 south will take you pass the Little League Museum in Williamsport. Rt 15 s will also take you to Gettysburg. Antietam is also a nice to check out. BTW Pa turnpike is very expensive. Have a nice trip and Safe Travel.

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
In the Lancaster, Pa area, Strasburg has more railroad attractions per captia than almost anywhere else.
David and Dayle

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
The Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY is popular, and fairly close to some other potential Central NY/Finger Lakes stops. A couple of State Parks and plenty of commercial RV Parks in the area.
2013 RT 190-Popular

WallynDiane
Explorer
Explorer
Chautauqua Institution in Western NY is a great location. If you are a Lucille Ball fan, you can't miss her home/grave/museum in Nearby Jamestown NY.

I oiled then angle down to southern Pa. Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright's) master piece is a must see. Nearby 40 miles or so is the flight 93 Memorial. I woul then travel on to Gettysburg which has more monuments than any battlefield in the world. An hour east of Gettysburg is Amish country which is worth a drive by, Then on to Philly to see Independence Hall/Liberty Bell/Ephrams Alley/Christ Church plus all the other historic sites. If you like history, you can't miss Philly and Gettysburg.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
I forgot to mention the Kinzua Dam area of the Alleghany National Forest. Some great sightseeing and hikes. Look up Kinzua Bridge SP;no camping right there but it's worth a visit.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually WNYBob, the OP did mention going to Niagara for "a day or two", so one would have to imagine that he will go to the falls, although I seriously doubt he can see your whole list in "a day or two". ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
If you are that close, check out the Flight 93 Memorial near Shanksville, PA
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tend to be more of a mountains person so anywhere in northern PA all through upstate NY is beautiful country. Lots to see and enjoy with nature. As mentioned, if you are into history Gettysburg is worth the visit. Also, for a total change and something different than you may be used to, central PA is Amish country. Especially the Lancaster county area. Sometimes its enjoyable to be around that area, hit some Amish farm stands and markets and see things a bit different. Harley tour in York PA is a fun thing for a few hours.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
No one has mentioned NF, so here goes:
- places to stay
On Grand Island there is a KOA next to an amusement park. Fantasy Island.
Also on GI a newer campground/camping resort called Branches $$$
North of NF on Lake Ontario a State Park - Four Mile SP (inexpensive) PS-your camping pass is good for free parking at all state lotd.
- Things to do
At the Falls
Cave of the Winds (get wet under the Falls them selves)
Maid of tge Mist boar ride.
Tour/shuttle to Goat Island and walk to the brink of both the American answer Horseshoe Falls (Canadian Falls)
Near the NF
Right next to Four Mike SP is Ft Niagara, a Fort that has 4 flags over it ( French, English, Canada and US!)
Underground Railroad Museum in the Amtrak RR station in NF.
Aquarium of NF
Geological Museum (formerly Shocoff - bad spelling)
Go to Canadian side if you have a passport or enhanced drivers licenses (for each person. I see you are from Texas, NO Fire arms of any kind. It's a different country so any permits or licenses are valid there.
White Water Adventure is great on a hot day. It's a board walk in the gorge next to a class 5+ rapids.
Like history, Ft, Erie, Ft George and Queenston Ontario ( where the US invaded Canada!)

There is a lot more. If interested let me know!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
When in doubt to a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the city, state, area in the blank and take your pick.
Go to Lockport, NY and take a cruise on the Erie Canal; yes THAT Erie Canal.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice so far. If you like hiking and are in reasonable shape, walk to the top of the gorge, have a rest and walk down again. There are taxis to take you to the top, but we think it is a rip-off. Nice area to explore - try to avoid race weekends unless you intend to go see a race.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
If you want full hookups, KOA in Watkins Glen is nice. Unhook and wander around, plenty to do that time of year. Hike the gorge, visit the racing museum , many wineries within short drive. What are your likes ? We are 15 miles from Watkins.