cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NC/VA campgrounds on the river

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
We have never stayed at a campground on the river and would like to this summer. I have been looking at places near the New River, but nothing is jumping out at me.

I would love to find a place that has sites with water/electric right along the river, but I'm not finding anything. It doesn't have to be the New River. I just want a river where we can do some tubing and fishing.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and it has to allow dogs. I was going to book the New River Campground, but they only allow dogs 15 lbs and under. :M Ours are about 40 lbs.
Just sold 38' Coachman Catalina
Ford F250
Kia Soul
6 REPLIES 6

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
James River State Park in Gladstone VA. Dogs welcome but they chage an extra fee of $5 per dog per night.

James River State Park
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

dsotmoon
Explorer
Explorer
i dont know how much of a river it actually is yet but we have reservations in a few weeks @ Shenandoah valley campground, they have tubing around the park according to the friend who recommended it to me
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark. "

TV: 2013 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins Diesel
TT: 2013 Rockwood Signature Series 8319SS

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Davidson River CG near Brevard. Only one loop has electric, but you won't need A/C, so it's not needed. Plenty of fishing and tubing on the Davidson River right in the CG.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Or you could do the KOA in Townsend, TN...not in NC/VA, but not that far out of the way.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at RiverCamp USA, out of Sparta.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
Four or five years ago, I spent 5 nights at New River Junction in Blacksburg, VA. while working in the Blackburg/Christianburg area. I had a nice grassy site w/W&E on the banks of the New River. Fishing & tubing is the draw. While the park's main focus is catering to the local "tubers", it has about 16 RV sites. The showers are dated, but adequate. IIRC, the dump station is right next to the main building... a weird setup, but worked for me.

There are a lot of trains in the vicinity of the park. Sleep came hard the first night until I became accustomed to the noise. I seldom heard them the remaining 4 nights. The owners were very nice. I wouldn't hesitate to return. They are affiliated with Passport America.

On edit: They do allow dogs but they have to remain on a leash and be well behaved.
RVn Full-time