cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advise on Heading South for the Winter from NW Iowa

gonefishin_
Explorer
Explorer
1st Winter that we are both retired and are going to head south right after Christmas. Leaving from NW Iowa and need some advise on where to go and routes to take. We are in a 5th wheeler and prefer quieter areas; enjoy some fishing, visiting, finding new restaurants to try and just relaxing. We are familiar with RV Park review and will use it to find some places to stay along the way. Also would like to know what you use to chart your travel whether it's a blog or software like Streets & trips.
17 REPLIES 17

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
Come to the WARMEST place in the continental USA, Yuma AZ.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

aauummm
Explorer
Explorer
gonefishin' wrote:
Well it finally happened. We headed south on the 2nd and are at Waco, TX. Cold is hitting here also so staying one more night then will head to San Antonio for a few days. Any recommendations on where to stay there? KOA is right in the heart of town but a little pricey but we are thinking it might be worth it to be centrally located. Not sure where to go next as it's cold all over. How is it where you are at and is there any room in the inn?

I like the looks of the Blazing Star Luxury RV Resort on the West side of San Antonio along North Loop 1604 west. Very nice, a bit expensive at $41-$61/night. The $61/night is 30' foot wide lot with concrete pads and a wooden deck. Never stayed there but I'd do it for a night or two just to pamper myself. Blazing Star Luxury RV Resort, San Antonio

I also thought that Stone Creek RV Park located along I-35 just NE of San Antonio looked very nice and interesting. Pull thru, 50 amp is $40/night, 30 amp is $37.50//night.Stone Creek RV Park, San Antonio

KOA is running around $41-$45/night.

PS-I'd head south to the Rio Grande Valley, ASAP. It's going to warm up very nicely there. By Friday it'll be 85-90F, by Thursday 70's F. From what I hear, there is plenty of room at the inn in the Valley. Nearly 500 RV Parks and most all have some spaces left if not a lot of spaces left.
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, Kelderman Air Suspension System
Roadmaster HD rear swaybar, Safe-T-Plus, Blue-Ox Tow bar
2011 Honda CRV toad
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon toad
two cats and the wife

gonefishin_
Explorer
Explorer
Well it finally happened. We headed south on the 2nd and are at Waco, TX. Cold is hitting here also so staying one more night then will head to San Antonio for a few days. Any recommendations on where to stay there? KOA is right in the heart of town but a little pricey but we are thinking it might be worth it to be centrally located. Not sure where to go next as it's cold all over. How is it where you are at and is there any room in the inn?

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Rockport is now closed as they reached their max on winter texans:)

aauummm
Explorer
Explorer
Des Moines area here. We head straight south to Carthage, MO also, where we dewinterize at Coachlight RV Park. If its still too cold there we sometimes head on down to Oklahoma City to Twin Fountains RV Park where we dewinterize.

Once at Oklahoma City we follow I-35 down to San Antonio then take 281 to McAllen. Now you're in the Rio Grande Valley and have 300-400 RV parks to choose from all the way from Palmview west of McAllen or east down to Brownsville and South Padre Island.

Other times we will cut down from Carthage to Sherman, TX (Lazy "L" Rv Park) and then head over to I-35 and the west side of Fort Worth and then on down to the Valley.

Just some ideas on fishing:

http://www.themonitor.com/article_99b617ec-d471-5168-93bd-7315f919d087.html

Good luck!
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, Kelderman Air Suspension System
Roadmaster HD rear swaybar, Safe-T-Plus, Blue-Ox Tow bar
2011 Honda CRV toad
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon toad
two cats and the wife

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
North Central Iowa here. We usually go to Carthage Mo. for the first night and de-winterize then head for the Bolivar peninsula, take the ferry to Galveston and head for the Rockport area. Check out Palacios Tx. on the way, look for Serendipity RV resort on the way. Have a great trip!
P.S. We avoid Houston by going to Beaumont then I-10 to Winnie then south.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
My bucket list has NM written all over it and when I was looking for places to stay I ran across Hidden Valley It I remember its north of Deming in the mountains and it really looked nice. I spoke with them and they seemed friendly and helpful. Also, I see they have some great reviews.

gonefishin_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. So in other words, just take off and head south til we hit warmer weather. That's the plan if all holds out anyway. Thanks again, keep the advise coming.

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I can tell you this: Since you're leaving Iowa after Christmas - TURN OFF THE LIGHTS IN IOWA! Every Iowan will be in Texas when you leave 🙂 . No really, thousands of Iowans go the the Rio Grande Valley - warm, cheap and lots to do. My mom and stepdad from Oskaloosa go down every year and fully 60%of the parks around there's are Iowans. You'll love it.
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't be afraid to go to the Hill Country. Very scenic, not very crowded, good prices. Lots to see and do. The areas around Kerrville and Fredricksburg would be good choices. Plenty of fellow Iowegians in the area. Prices are reasonable. The weather isn't as warm as the Valley but much better than Iowa. We're heading there for our fourth year. Just try a search on RV Park Reviews then look at the individual RV park websites.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
A word about Rockport. The RV parks are mostly full due to the shale oil workers in the area. This runs from Port Lavaca to San Antonio. They are also building windmill generators in the area. I was able to get a reservation in a park that had just expanded but many do not have the room to expand. I was told they are building several new parks but they may not be ready. I suggest you call for reservations before you go. May have to go the Rio Grand Valley.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

justaboutretire
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would do is to put the snow blower on the roof of the truck and then keep the compass needle pointing south. The first person who asks you what that thing is on the roof of your truck, PARK IT.
Have a great time no matter where you end up!!
Bill & Diane
3 Boys, 1 dog
1DIL, 3 Granddaughters
2002 Excursion Limited\w 7.3 PSD
2003 Citation 33M TT

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
My advice is head due south until you get below the freeze line. Then turn right, left or go straight depending on what part of the country you want to winter in.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Been to Rockport and love the place. Not retired yet, so we just fly in, every so often. Excellent fishing! Making another trip down in April. Can't wait to retire there!
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude