Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New England Campground Recs

Dara8182
Explorer
Explorer

Hello Friends,

I am looking for some campground suggestions. My family has a 34' GD 5th wheel and my children and I usually spend the summer camping and adventuring together. We are looking for a seasonal campground to call home for 2025 after spending the last two years trying a variety of different campgrounds. 

We have fallen in love with Point Sebago Resort in Maine - spent three happy weeks here. I attempted to book for next summer and was told they don't offer seasonal spots. So I offered to just pay the daily rate for a long term stay (a hit money wise, but worth it given how much my kids loved it and how close we were to family). The manager sneered at me and told me that they are not a campground but a "resort" and they do not want long term campers and their reservation system is designed to avoid long term reservations. He also explained that they offer less camping sites every year and are trying to turn over into a fully "cottage" model. It was quite snobby and off putting. I was standing there with my 9 and 5 year old kids who were so excited and he basically told us he did not want my money.

So, having said that, my family is looking for a new spot for 2025. Bc I have small kids (and my 5 year old is autistic) we look for amenities and activities as well as access to natural spaces (lakes, beaches and state parks). 

Does anyone have any ideas? Here are the requirements:

1. Within a 4 hour drive of Boston

2. New England or upstate NY

3. Resort style campground with clean sites, fire pits, full hookups

4. Access to a body of water (we have a small boat)

5. Naturally beautiful location with opportunities for hiking and biking.

6. Family friendly atmosphere (not mostly retirees)

Places we've tried:

1. Point Sebago, ME - clear winner, but not gonna work

2. Normandy Farms, MA - best campground, absolutely wonderful - but no natural beauty around (it's in suburban Mass, and no lakes, ocean, mountains, ect... Also a lot of retirees and an older vibe

3. Westward Shores, NH - awesome location on lake ossipee, but has kind of fallen over the three years we've been visiting. a lot of theft this year, lots of wild teens, and upkeep is very poor. almost no activities for kids anymore. 

4. Shore Hills, ME - lovely campground, not much to do, off a highway

Thank you so much for all your help.

Dara

0 REPLIES 0