cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Niagara Falls scow moved

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife just rear about this. Doesn't sound like it moved far. And they thought it was going to be unmoveable forever!

Niagara Falls scow
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
9 REPLIES 9

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Think I'll stay off the Maiden of the Mist for a while...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:
Was there just this August its something to see. You have to wonder how its been able to stay it one spot that long. I do believe something will or should be done, as DW said how would you like to be on one of the boats and that thing went over the falls. One side if possible to get a recording of it would be great, on the other it could be dangerous coming over the falls.

If it went over itโ€™s only going to crash to the bottom. It doesnโ€™t float! And wonโ€™t get far with all the rocks down there, even with the force of the water, it will break apart and sink to the bottom before it gets away from the bottom of the falls.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Was there just this August its something to see. You have to wonder how its been able to stay it one spot that long. I do believe something will or should be done, as DW said how would you like to be on one of the boats and that thing went over the falls. One side if possible to get a recording of it would be great, on the other it could be dangerous coming over the falls.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps photo
I don.t remember much, actually nothing, from my first visits there. But in the early 1960s, I've seen it and remember hearing stories about it. The story I remember is that it was a barge/scow being towed in the upper Niagara River when it broke loose from its TB, tow boat. The 2 men on board managed to open valves or something to scuttle or sink the boat in the river to prevent being sweep over the falls. Apparently they were rescued by lifelines thrown from shore.
Yes, I was born in the Niagara area, in 1948, and that is my story as my senior mind remembers it.
With the severe wind and rain this past weekend, combined with the naturally treacherous waters in that area, almost anything would be moved. I can't imagine how 101 year old iron could withstand, even the natural current in the river.

Ken
edit: If you click on the left arrow, upper left corner IN the picture by the untitled photo credit, it will take you back to the google maps and satellite views.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the read!

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went to Niagara Falls in 94 and didn't even know about it.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. I didn't even know about it until we visited the falls 5 years ago. It was interesting to find out it's history. It will probably rust away and go over in pieces eventually. When that happens you will not even see it at the bottom of the falls.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Between corrosion and now movement, it doesn't appear as though it has too many years left. But I bet not many people in 1918 thought it would sit there through winter much less 100 years, so what do I know?
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved about 50 meters/160 ft. Roughly 500 ft to go to the falls. I suspect they would blow it to pieces before it gets that far. They probably would not want the whole thing to go over the falls and lay there at the bottom.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper