Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NJ through New England - Campground Ideas Needed

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I posted a few months ago looking for ideas for our summer trip, and finally have at least some plans in place but would appreciate some additional ideas and/or input.

The plan so far...

Nights 1-2 - Southern NJ to Clinton, CT - 2 nights at Riverdale Farms Campground

Night 3 - to Freeport, ME at Cedar Haven Campground

Nights 4-6 - to Thomaston, ME at Saltwater Farm Campground

Nights 7-9 - to Acadia NP, either at Bar Harbor Campground or Smuggler's Den, not sure yet

Nights 10-13 is where I would really appreciate some help and campground suggestions.

My husband doesn't mind pushing through the one long drive from Acadia to NH so that we can spend 2 days in the White Mountains area, then we'll probably stop in Waterbury, VT (Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory) before heading back to NJ. So We need a campground for 2 nights in the White Mountains, and two more campgrounds somewhere between Waterbury, VT and NJ on the way home.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
17 REPLIES 17

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
To me...your trip north is planed ok. I will tell you that we have no problem when traveling back from Fl going from Fredricksburg VA to the White Mtns in one day. We are ok with smelling the roses at the destination rather than along the way.

The answer to your White Mtns CGs could be like this. The route from BH to B&J is primarily US RT 2, which runs through the northern end of the White Mountains. While in our neck of the woods, I recommend a trip to the top of MT Washington. There are 2 sides of the Mt to do it on . On the Gorham side is The Auto Rd. You can drive yourself, (depending on what you are driving)! Or go on a guided tour in a van to the top. The other way is on the Bretton Woods side which would be The COG Railway. Both are great expierences! If you chose the Gorham side there are 2 CG's. Timberland and White Birches, which are both in Shelburne NH. On the Bretton Woods side in Twin Mountain there is a KOA.

From Acadia to Gorham is about a 5hr drive. Then from Gorham to Waterbury is another 3 or so. The Bretton Woods side will not be in your direct route to Waterbury...but not that far out of your way.
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, NJ to ME is too long of a drive in one day, so we're spending the first 2 nights in Clinton, Connecticut on the way to Maine.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
I think your day three will be day four as from NJ to Maine is too much for a one day trip. Perhaps a stay in Salisbury Beach would be in order before you drive up to Maine. Driving too much ruins a vacation, so find some place and stay a while.