cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North Cascades National Park

evotech
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip this year through the Pacific Northwest. We love to boondock in our 34 foot RV. Any suggestions for North Cascades NP or Olympic NP? Thanks:)
12 REPLIES 12

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Red seaweed and algae are common, there are several photosynthetic pigments besides chlorophyll. But in this case these algae use chlorophyll but also contain a red pigment: astaxanthin. The name seems to have been changed to Chlamydomonas nivalis. There are taxonomy wars going on continuously and those scientific names get changed. It's just about impossible for outsiders to keep up with the changes.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
You guys need to have more fun in life.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just revisited this revived thread and realized that Green is talking about the pink snow on Mt. Shuksan. Actually, that is a reflection from a gaudy sunset -- the snow on that mountain was white, with strong blue tones at the toes of the glaciers.

But we really have seen pink snow -- this was taken at 11,000 feet in the Sierra, north of Tioga Pass:

Those colors are not retouched at all -- the ice in the pond is turquoise, and the snow is pink due to that algae. It is hard to imagine a plant that photosynthesizes but is not green. And a ranger told us that if we ever needed to use that snow for drinking water, we could do so safely. (Since we don't backpack, that is very unlikely.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
greenrvgreen wrote:
That pink tinge to the snow shows that the snowfield is infested with a vicious parasite commonly called "brain-eater lice". Don't inhale the dust!...

Hematococcus nivalis. A common algae. Harmless.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
Colonial creek campgroundon Diablo Lake is afave of ours. Go to the left of the highway if heading north. Better sites less people. Not boondocking but dry camping at $12 a night.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the original topic...? There are several 'dry' NFCG's west of Winthrop on #20. You can also wander west of Twisp and find some true boondocking places, although the fire last year may have ruined those. It's a great area but heavily utilized, so you will need to be creative, perhaps.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
You're right, Prof, it works just great (I was having unrelated difficulties).

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait -- green, why would you have to reconfigure your firewall?? I am using the new rv.net photo posting app designed by 1492 (one of the moderators), and it should work seamlessly with this forum. When people have posted with that new app, I have no problem seeing the photos with Chrome -- are you using a different browser, perhaps?

There is one other big advantage to this new app -- it avoids that annoying problem when a picture is too big and causes the text of the postings to spread out horizontally, so it is hard to read. (I am sure there is a name for that particular glitch, but I don't know what it is.)
About our trailer

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
That pink tinge to the snow shows that the snowfield is infested with a vicious parasite commonly called "brain-eater lice". Don't inhale the dust!

Prof, your new way of posting pics really works for me! I can see your pic in your post just fine, then if I want to click through to the large version, I still can (after spending ten minutes reconfiguring my firewall). Thanks!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow -- after posting that comment with the photos, I clicked "expand" on the shot of Shuksan. I had never looked at that picture blown up before. If you do that and scroll around, you can see the crevasses in the glaciers very clearly. That new photo posting app from 1492 is just amazing!
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is some boondocking northwest of the North Cascades NP, not far from Mt. Shuksan. It is not big-rig friendly -- lots of trees, narrow and muddy forest roads, rocks, etc. There is very little near Olympic NP. Maybe talk to the rangers in the nearby national forests??

Don't bother going to the Mt. Shuksan area, by the way -- the hills are all jagged and covered with this ugly white junk that turns pink in the late afternoon:

This was taken in the Hoh River Valley -- something is wrong with that vine maple -- you can see it has turned some funny colors:

And this is from the North Cascades in the Rainy Pass area -- this is taken from Maple Pass, looking north -- more of those darn pointy hills all over the place:

All attempts at levity aside, Northern Washington is astonishing -- some of the best hiking and camping we have ever experienced. Yes, the boondocking near the national parks is kind of limited, but the ordinary campgrounds are fine, and they are well-located.
About our trailer

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
By 'boondocking', do you mean dry camping or free dispersed camping? There are several nice (dry camping) NP campgrounds in both national parks, a few of which can accommodate a 34' RV, but I don't think there is dispersed camping in the national parks. Possibly in nearby NF areas.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8