cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NS Great Lakes

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone recommend a nice CG near the Naval base? Going to visit my brother; he lives in base housing. Traveling with wife/kids. Thanks!
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS
15 REPLIES 15

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
As a long time Executive Assistant for numerous Commanding Officers, I typed letters of sponsorship several times for service members to sponsor family members for military campgrounds. Have your brother talk to the Command Master Chief and find out what is possible. Not sure what that particular campground is like but it sure would be convenient. And Springtime should not be an issue weatherwise.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Be glad he didn't use the Navy abbreviation - GLakes.

Now, do you know where PCola is?

That would be a much nicer trip, but he chose to be transferred to GLakes. lol

kknowlton, thanks for all the info. I saw those parks, and that is what I am debating. Staying relatively close, or almost an hour away... Visiting him in the spring, because he will be retiring.
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS

Past:

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends when you are going; many of the CGs (including SPs) around here close down or offer limited services by November. Closest choice by far is Illinois Beach State Park. Decent enough, and I believe they have some sites with more than just electric hookups. Probably 15-20 miles from the base.

Our old standbys when we lived in that area are Chain o' Lakes SP and Bong SRA (all 3 of these are mentioned in the link 2gypsies provided.) We like both of those CGs better, and if you choose Chain o' Lakes, I'd recommend the Fox Den CG there, over Honeysuckle Hollow, as sites are bigger and the bathhouse newer. Both of these CGs will be roughly 25-30 miles (perhaps a bit more) from the base. Electric hookups in many sites in both these parks. Bong, like all Wisconsin state parks, has an entry fee in addition to camping fees (but we never had a problem paying it - loved the park.) Illinois, last we knew, does not charge such an entry fee, but you may notice some difference. ๐Ÿ™‚

It's pretty urban around there, so you won't find anything closer to the base.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
I wish I knew what "NS Great Lakes" means or even where it is. NS, North South or No Such? Hmmm!

Be glad he didn't use the Navy abbreviation - GLakes.

Now, do you know where PCola is?
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Spent two winters there and If family were there I would just wish them luck and stay home. Will be happy to never see that place again.:)
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

INBellbuoy
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
jasoncw wrote:
I'm sure he could, but I'm not sure whether I would be permitted to camp there...

Typically, he could sponsor you so that you could stay on base. Perhaps his CO could offer guidance.

Many military bases have what they call Fam-camps for visiting family, my parents always camped on base @ FE Warren in Cheyenne, WY when visiting my brother. Also retired service men & women camp at these when travelling.
INBellbuoy, wife of 36 yrs, 19 yr old son, & Scruffy the Goldendoodle, 2007 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab, 2005 Lund 1800 Explorer w/ 90 hp Yamaha & Minn Kota I-Pilot Link , 2006 Host Yukon W/ Tent 80W solar panel

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp1 wrote:
I wish I knew what "NS Great Lakes" means or even where it is. NS, North South or No Such? Hmmm!

Naval Station Great Lakes.
It is in northern Illinois.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Check the above link for campgrounds in that area. The base campground doesn't get good reviews and you stated you wanted a 'nice' one. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
jasoncw wrote:
I'm sure he could, but I'm not sure whether I would be permitted to camp there...

Typically, he could sponsor you so that you could stay on base. Perhaps his CO could offer guidance.

X2. I'd check out that option first. Policies will change with levels of "alert" and it may be that you can stay there. Uber convenient if you can:W
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, didn't know that could be an option. I'll have him check it out. Thanks!
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS

Past:

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
jasoncw wrote:

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you mean Waukegan, Illinois? If so, here are some choices:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/illinois/waukegan
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS

Past: