cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OBX bound travelers: Bridge is Closed: Detour

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone heading to OBX of NC over the next few weeks the NC12 Bridge at Oregon Inlet is closed. You will need to catch ferry to Hatteras Island. Just a warning for those heading that way for fishing or Holiday camping.
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer
13 REPLIES 13

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, There is a Santa Claus
Gary

GoneCamping
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, bridge opened yesterday (Sunday) afternoon around 4pm... back in business!!
*Cliff*
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration!"

2000 Ford F-150
2005 Coachmen Spirit of America 300 TBS
Chesapeake, Virginia

baunno
Explorer
Explorer
Just got word from friends who live in Buxton that the bridge has opened back up today. They drove across it earlier today. ๐Ÿ™‚
"Onward thru the fog!"

demoon
Explorer
Explorer

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it is to reopen on 1/3/14

NC 12

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
I think that I heard that dredging has begun and sand is being put back around the pilings. Let's hope so. This bridge was never to have lasted this long when first built in early 60's.
Gary

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Scouring is the official current reason, but the Bonner Bridge has needed major repairs for a very long time.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

GoneCamping
Explorer
Explorer
Officially it's called "Scouring"... Sand around some of the pilings have become so depleted there is not much of the piling left buried, they deemed it unsafe. They have plans to fix it, but the needed equipment to do that will not be in place for a couple of weeks, and then it'll be a month minumum but they are indicating it could take much longer. NC declared a state of emergency on as to bring in Federal assistance. The bridge is a lifeline for Hatteras Island, so they will do whatever is necesary to get it open again as soon as possible.
*Cliff*
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration!"

2000 Ford F-150
2005 Coachmen Spirit of America 300 TBS
Chesapeake, Virginia

longrider1100
Explorer
Explorer
Been over that bridge many times. Does anyone know the causes for the closure????
Time to camp.

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
Unless there is a way to add sand or some other solid item around the posts, it looks to be closed for quite some time and possibly never re-open(which I can't see them doing ). But a new bridge would be a long time offalso.
Sad situation to a great place and a much needed bridge.
Gary

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up. I won't be going 'til the NPS CG's re-open in spring, so hopefully it'll be fixed by then.

Jim, "Irony: the opposite of wrinkly."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
jayco304 wrote:
Anyone heading to OBX of NC over the next few weeks the NC12 Bridge at Oregon Inlet is closed. You will need to catch ferry to Hatteras Island. Just a warning for those heading that way for fishing or Holiday camping.

Thanks for the headsup
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer