cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ocean Lakes Family Campground - HOLY GOLF CARTS!!!!!!

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
Currently staying at OLFC in Myrtle Beach. Before we came here we read that it was a big place, and can get very crowded, but I didn't realize the golf cart population would outnumber the people!
I attempted to go to the laundry facility in my pickup on Saturday to wash some bedding that got soiled due to a sick child, it took me 30 minutes to go less than half a mile just to find a parking lot full of golf carts, I was not happy. I understand why the golf carts are so popular around here, if you don't have one or rent one you are going to be very frustrated when you try to go anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice park, with very nice amenities, nice people, and nice facilities. I just don't care for how populated it is. Just too many people and golf carts for our liking. We will probably look elsewhere next year for our family vacation.

We'll be here a few more days, maybe some of the crowd will depart after today.
2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Radiance 31DSBH
76 REPLIES 76

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hokiehall wrote:
We go to Myrtle Beach Travel Park where the only golf carts allowed are the ones used by the permanent residents who are generally in the perimeter sites of the campground. Plus it is not as big as OL.

It also best to avoid Myrtle Beach in the summer if you can, particularly July 4 week. Fall is a great time and, barring a visit from Irma, we plan to be there in the middle of next week.

We were in MB a few days after the 4th and it wasn't that bad. I've seen way worse in the Wisconsin Dells all summer! It's only as bad as you make it out to be. I for one loved it. I would go again in the middle of summer! And back to Pireateland.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Myrtle Beach Travel Park where the only golf carts allowed are the ones used by the permanent residents who are generally in the perimeter sites of the campground. Plus it is not as big as OL.

It also best to avoid Myrtle Beach in the summer if you can, particularly July 4 week. Fall is a great time and, barring a visit from Irma, we plan to be there in the middle of next week.

vaoutsider
Explorer
Explorer
We have been at Ocean Lakes and at Lakewood during those peak dates and both places are overrun with golf cars.That's why we now go to Ocean Lakes after Labor Day. Then we can rent a golf car and enjoy our time there without the overcrowding.

Mcamper
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
thedoghouse wrote:
It's simple. If you can't handle people then this campgrounds not for you. Some people just can't. I always have great time at OL

I agree. I love to people watch.

I agree with both comments here. Some want to verbally trash a large campground if they prefer something very small and/or remote such as a state park or small mom and pop campground. I realize there are different types of campgrounds and I choose not to say negative things about a campground that does not fit my personal camping style.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
thedoghouse wrote:
It's simple. If you can't handle people then this campgrounds not for you. Some people just can't. I always have great time at OL

I agree. I love to people watch.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard many good things about Pirateland and Lakewood. I have a co-worker who loves Pirateland. But I just don't see the big site problem.

You can see in my pic, a 44' camper, a golf cart, my truck, and at least ten more feet of grass. Plus, my camper and golf cart are on concrete. That's our preference.

Fortunately, there are at least six or more campgrounds at Myrtle and N. Myrtle. Fun for everyone. ๐Ÿ™‚

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
For comparison here was my ocean front site at Pireateland.

As you can see there is more than enough room for my 35ft trailer. There is about 5 feet of room on the ocean side of the trailer. 4ft behind the trailer and I think it was about 10 feet in front. Even with the gazebo I was able to park my Excursion on the other side of the site out of my way. These sites are huge in comparison to OL's. It was nice with the golf cart parade we setup our chairs and were able to watch it from our site.

Great campground.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

firebox700
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
firebox700 wrote:
The family will be going to OL August 19th for a week. Never been there. Told the wife that this will either be the best thing we have done, or the worst thing. This will be the furthest we have towed the camper. I've read some negative reviews, but i've read bad reviews for every place we have ever gone. I personally like both types of CG's, whether it be a packed resort, or a small quiet CG. We picked this for our week long vacation this year because of all the activities that are offered. I'm sure my 7 year old daughter will love it and have a blast no matter what. I will probably rent a cart as well. We wanted to explore a little further away from home and go to another beach other than Ocean City, MD.

Just got back this afternoon from a four day weekend. Had a great time.

The place is a zoo. So yes, your daughter will probably love it. The waterpark stays packed but maybe by the time you get there, some schools will be opened and the crowds will be dying down.

Right now, the Army Corps of Engineers is doing a beach renourishment. In other words, they are dredging sand from out in the ocean and pumping it back onto the beach. They should be finished in front of Ocean Lakes within a day or two and moving up toward Lakewood and Pirateland. The new sand is much softer and the beach is much larger. You just have to go over the "sand bridges" to get over the big pipes.

What section are you staying in? That will be a huge factor in your decision on a golf cart or not.

This is us in H7. We were oceanfront until someone showed up in H8. :B

We are going to be in site 2031. I knew about the beach renourishment, but looking on the website and all, it looks as though that should be pretty much gone by the time we get there. Weather permitting of course....

SC schools start next Wednesday, so maybe it will thin out a little. I'm not too worried about it, as long as someone isn't constantly circling my site with music I don't like on blast....lol

2012 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8312SS
2008 Rockwood Roo 21SS (History)
1981 Starcraft Galaxy 2108 (its gone:()
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
ME-Jeff(73)
DW-Lori (?)
DS-Jeremy(93)
DD-Charlotte (10)
my pics!!

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
firebox700 wrote:
The family will be going to OL August 19th for a week. Never been there. Told the wife that this will either be the best thing we have done, or the worst thing. This will be the furthest we have towed the camper. I've read some negative reviews, but i've read bad reviews for every place we have ever gone. I personally like both types of CG's, whether it be a packed resort, or a small quiet CG. We picked this for our week long vacation this year because of all the activities that are offered. I'm sure my 7 year old daughter will love it and have a blast no matter what. I will probably rent a cart as well. We wanted to explore a little further away from home and go to another beach other than Ocean City, MD.

The place is a zoo. So yes, your daughter will probably love it. The waterpark stays packed but maybe by the time you get there, some schools will be opened and the crowds will be dying down.

Right now, the Army Corps of Engineers is doing a beach renourishment. In other words, they are dredging sand from out in the ocean and pumping it back onto the beach. They should be finished in front of Ocean Lakes within a day or two and moving up toward Lakewood and Pirateland. The new sand is much softer and the beach is much larger. You just have to go over the "sand bridges" to get over the big pipes.

What section are you staying in? That will be a huge factor in your decision on a golf cart or not.

LawnSpecialites. Too funny. We just pulled out of H5 on 8/13 after being there since the 7/26. We were in an Outback TT. I see you have a 2017 Ford Dually. I have a 2017 KR, SRW.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
firebox700 wrote:

firebox700
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8312SS
2008 Rockwood Roo 21SS (History)
1981 Starcraft Galaxy 2108 (its gone:()
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
ME-Jeff(73)
DW-Lori (?)
DS-Jeremy(93)
DD-Charlotte (10)
my pics!!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
lawnspecialties wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Holy Golf Carts? How about holy being packed in tighter than a Bulls butt in fly season?

I was totally unfamiliar with this place, but checked it out after reading through this thread. The wife has been wanting to camp at a beach location for a few years but this will not be the place. I guess if it floats your boat have at it. Personally I don't get it. Some of those pads are less than 12' from the next. I am thinking condo or hotel and flying down, the hell with that place and places like it.

Just returned from Ocean Lakes a couple of hours ago. As usual, had a blast.

Just FYI. We were in HH11. That's the section right near the water park. I checked and my concrete pad was approximately 20' wide and a little over 50' long. The grassy area between us and the next pad was about 25' wide. More than enough room to park the golf cart and then beside it was the F450.

For those who think the carts are too much and the sites are too small, no problem. That just means more available spaces for the rest of us. Happy camping.

By the way. We're going back in less than three weeks. ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad you like the place. If such places keep your panties from knotting then thats the place for you.

Personally I prefer a view in a campground such as this,

As opposed to this,
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
losingit wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Holy Golf Carts? How about holy being packed in tighter than a Bulls butt in fly season?

I was totally unfamiliar with this place, but checked it out after reading through this thread. The wife has been wanting to camp at a beach location for a few years but this will not be the place. I guess if it floats your boat have at it. Personally I don't get it. Some of those pads are less than 12' from the next. I am thinking condo or hotel and flying down, the hell with that place and places like it.

You are spot on, the sites are tight and close. The first two days we were there both sites next to us had 2 vehicles each, a trailer for their golf carts and their golf carts. Trying to find a place just to park my truck was a chore in itself. Luckily the third day one of those folks pulled out and I was able to park pretty easily.

You won't catch me there either.. same goes with most of the other MB CG's
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard