cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Olympic National Park

Hiker52
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to spend some time in the area of Olympic NP this summer. I see a lot of campgrounds but not so many with the full hookups, etc (and good reviews) that we like when traveling. Which is the best side of the park to stay, probably about a week in the area. Would like to go whale watching plus hiking and touring in the park and the area. Any specific campgrounds for a 35 ft 5th wheel? Will be coming from or going to Mt Rainier. Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO youโ€™ll need to accept some dry camping to really experience ONP. Proper equipment makes that very comfortable.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Olympic NP is huge and is surrounded by US-101 on its W, N, & E sides. On the east side we have stayed at Lake Cushman with hookups. It is run by one of the Tribes. On the north anywhere in the Sequim, Port Angeles, Lake Crescent area is good so you can explore that area of the NP. Lots to do and see...very scenic. We like Salt Creek Campground (Clallam Co. Parks) at Joyce just west of Port Angeles. Hookups with a sewer dump station on the way out. On the west side google the Forks/LaPush for Campgrounds. Kalaloch campground is right on the coast, run by NP, and very popular.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think there is a 'best' side because you cannot drive thru the park to the other side. You'll need to camp at sites on both sides since you have to drive all the way around the place. We stayed on the east on the hood canal at a very nice place. And on the west at Forks (I never heard of the place but my wife knew all about it.) which was very soggy and rainy. You'll want to see Hurricane Ridge, Hoh and the east side. Not as much in the south so far as I know.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper