cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Online tax filing

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
What does the brain trust here consider the best FREE online program for filing taxes?
We file "short form" with only two pension checks and one Social Security check.
Would prefer to NOT have to mail my taxes in (e-file is great)or pay $35 for H&R Block program to file a two page form.
Thanks,Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin
22 REPLIES 22

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.irs.gov
They show "FreeFile" as their approved method.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Free Tax USA.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
DustyR wrote:
Turbo Tax.

I like and use TurboTax. But you can't use the FREE version if you have 1099 income, or a HSA. You are likely to have 1099 forms from your pension.

We use it every year... I have a pension...use it free..we just save our info from year to year...not sure about what wou speak of about 1099...
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly. I'm in the same boat and I feel the same way.

That's why I visit Costco every year and get Turbotax for about $30.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
I download the Verizon Basic version, it has all of the forms, and let it import info from last years taxes. Then I don't use the walk through (which will tell me I need their upgraded version) just fill in the 1099Rs that I have and file the taxes. The info stays on my computer and I can use the "what if" form to try different scenarios on whether to take just the RMD or a little more depending upon what we expect from pensions, other funds, etc.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
H&R Block's TaxCut is only $15 for the basic version that runs on both Mac and Windows. If you used it in the prior year they always send you a $10 rebate offer too. They also have an online version that's free.

The problem I have with the on-line versions is that all your information is stored on a computer someplace, not your own. Given that the Government's computers were hacked and exposed a lot of personal information related to Security Clearances I'm not a fan of any other computer having more information on me than they need. Although I'm quite happy that I get three years of "free" credit monitoring thanks the the Government's failure to protect my information.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Turbo Tax version on line that keeps all your info that make next years easy to do. Not the Free one.
Only have to change $$ amounts on a lot of the inputs.

It's cheaper then buying their CD version at the store.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Free Tax for several years and like it. Federal tax is free and state tax is like $10.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too vote for turbo-tax.... Just a few clicks and all done...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:

I use the H&R Block software and every year you have to purchase the new version.

Well then I'll probably still pay someone else to do mine.
As simple as it should be, the cost shouldn't be much different.

BTW, my previous CPA (who I really don't need anymore) suggested that I file directly on the IRS website for free. I haven't checked that our yet though.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Free Tax Usa. All done on line with no software to buy. I have used this for 6 years now and refund direct deposited in about 10 days from when. The Feds accept the return.
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yuck! It's that time of year again hum?

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Turbo Tax
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam Spade wrote:
popeyemth wrote:
or pay $35 for H&R Block program to file a two page form.

Pretty sure I've seen the basic H&R software at Staples and Sams for about $25.

And can't you continue to use the same basic software for many years by paying only a nominal fee to keep it up to date ??

I use the H&R Block software and every year you have to purchase the new version. They offer a discount but still have to buy. I can't you the low end version.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT