cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Palo Duro Canyon State Park TX

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a stunningly beautiful TX state park containing the second biggest canyon in the US. It also contains some campgrounds.
I would suggest that huge Class A and large towable owners unhook toads and trucks and scout the access road before venturing down the 10% grade. There are very tight curves and some very steep inclines.
It is more suited to smaller Cs and light TTs. There are some sites with water and electric and big bunches of sites with nothing.
There are trails everywhere for hiking, a trading post with a decent camp store and very good food choices in the burger sandwich chicken category.
It is worth visiting but the RV is best left at one of the many other RV Parks in the Amarillo area. The park is accessed from exit 64 on I40. Head south and it is about 25 minutes from there.

Clicky
Puma 30RKSS
23 REPLIES 23

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago we took our 36' DP with toad attached into the park. I did write in my log book that the road in was very steep but there was apparently no problem in negotiating it. Here is the excerpt from my log:

Tuesday 10/15/96
Left McLean, TX, at 8:45, west on I-5-->Canyon, TX. At Groom, TX, a large white cross
sits in a field, visible for miles.
59277 Arrived Palo Duro Canyon SP at 11:45. $15/day, w/e, got three days, as thatโ€™s all they would give us at a time. (stayed 5 days). Access road is very steep and winding. Big canyon, looks like the Grand Canyon, but less grand. Over the next few days we took a couple of hikes. Trails not well marked but were pretty good. Great hiking weather, breezy, warm & dry. Two weak TV channels, no cellular.
Town of Canyon pretty large, about 12-14 thousand, home to Texas A&M West. WalMart & large supermarket, turn R. on 87th N. off 127 from the park. A mile or so up the street. Supermarket right across the street from WalMart.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
MWJones wrote:
Bucky,
You are way out of your place to discourage some people (large RV owners) to not use the park's campgrounds. Over the years there has been thousands upon tens of thousands of RVs & buses of all sizes from pop ups to huge RVs go down into the park and of course back out WITHOUT any problem!!!!

Shhhh! Quiet! It's hard enough to get a good spot. Keep in mind that must be the rattlesnake and flash flood capital of the nation, but I hope to return some day. ๐Ÿ˜„

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
We wee there in Feb - only passing through for 1 day but what a sensational place.
I was blown away by its beauty. Wish I had my mountain bike to explore the trails. On my list of places to stay when we do our cross country trip.
Gerry

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky,
You are way out of your place to discourage some people (large RV owners) to not use the park's campgrounds. Over the years there has been thousands upon tens of thousands of RVs & buses of all sizes from pop ups to huge RVs go down into the park and of course back out WITHOUT any problem!!!!
If you chose not to, fine.
Have you ever heard of anyone having a problem??
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the best spots in Texas. I like the mountains over on the west end of the State and Big Bend. You can have the rest of it.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I was there was probably in the mid 1990's. And at that time in the summer they had a stage show called "TEXAS", don't know if Texas Tec pulls it on every summer.

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
We arrived at the canyon campground around midnight (it's pitch dark at night)and when we awoke the next morning, we were blown away at the views from the bottom of the canyon. We have a 38' FW and didn't have problems getting in the campground. It's tight and steep but doable. Very nice park-wil be going back.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We got our 34 ft FW down with no trouble. I fondly recall the first time we went there our number one son was maybe 4 or 5 and he was not enamored of the road down, he provided a steady stream of comments like
"it's to high"
"We are going to fall off"
and so on.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
I loved that place when we visited a couple years ago. Some of the best star gazing anywhere.

We had a 26' trailer and weren't impacted by the tight turn at the bottom. I did see some big rigs, so it's doable.