cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parking 5th in National Parks

AMS67067
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to 5th wheels. I have a truck camper for the last 15 years and never paid attention to what people do with the truck in these small NP sites.

I have a small (28') 5er on order. I see a lot on sites that at Glacier NP listed as 27'.

Is 1 foot a big deal.

I know it is site specific, but are the sites a NP that specific or can most accomodate a little bigger rig?

Where do you park the the truck?

Thanks,

Al
7 REPLIES 7

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
lookout for the ranger before looking atta limb with a pole saw in your hand.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Pole saw? No, but that's not a bad idea. But looking up? Yes, always. Be careful when driving in towns, where low-hanging tree limbs can do damage. Even in RV campgrounds, look out for tree limbs before backing into your site. It's wise to get out and look things over before backing in where there are trees.

AMS67067
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. A learning curve going to a 5er. Things I did not have to think about.

Another question, Do most of you carry a pole saw and a steep ladder? Having a roof the 12.5' tall makes me think I need to look up a lot.

al

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Some campground max RV or trailer lengths are set by the turns and obstructions in the campground or on the road to the campground.

A site might be much longer that the listed length but the road too narrow, a tree or a boulder obstructing the room a person uses to get the rig turned to get into the spot.

I once had to get six people to move their pickups so I could get into a reserved spot. Tow trucks lined both sides of the campground loop road parked across the front of their camp site. The rangers really should have made people not block the road. But the overflow parking area for trucks that did not fit on the campsite was almost a half mile away.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Often one foot (or ten feet) longer than the advertised site length will fit. Sometimes it won't. Sometime it might fit easily in the site but the access roads are tight or twisty.

Finding parking for the tow vehicle is rarely if ever a problem. At the worst you may have to drive it to some parking lot rather than have it in your site. Usually there's room beside or in front of the trailer for it to fit without much trouble.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Site size is all about the RV

Truck gets parked in front of trailer
Truck gets parked sideways in site
Truck gets parked next to

We always found a place to park truck and our 5th wheel is 34' (truck is close to 19')
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've parked our 40' motorhome and Jeep in national park sites, including Glacier's Apgar campground. The Jeep fit on the same parking pad. You're not going to have a problem with a 28' No, you won't fit in every site but there are plenty that you will fit. We prefer to not get reservations but instead, stay nearby the previous night and then drive in early the next morning at the first-come campgrounds. Even so, we've also stopped at the reservation campgrounds and have gotten a site without us having a reservation.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel