cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parks in the San Diego/La Jolla area

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
After the first of the year, we would like to head to Southern California to visit my wife's brother (lives in La Jolla). We expected sticker shock when looking at RV Parks in the area, but $60 - $90 a night and up is a bit much. A neighbor here at the RV Park on Aberdeen Proving Ground recommended Fiddler's Cove on Coronado Island (Navy facility), but they have NO availability for the month of January. The Admiral Baker Field RV Park seems to have availability, but the photos look like closely-spaced RVs circled around a grass field with a playground in the middle. At $30 a night, though, it would be a place to lay our heads down at night. Has anyone had any experience with the Admiral Baker Field park or can you recommend some budget-minded alternatives for about a week in the SD/La Jolla area for the first half of January?

Thanks!

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015
11 REPLIES 11

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Valkyriebush wrote:
Admiral Baker is the best value in SD. Very nice park, golf course and club house. Must be active duty or retired Military, DOD or be sponsored by same. Perfect location for us. You could try the silver strand State beach.

Roger that, Master Chief - retired Army here...

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Admiral Baker is the best value in SD. Very nice park, golf course and club house. Must be active duty or retired Military, DOD or be sponsored by same. Perfect location for us. You could try the silver strand State beach.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
More To See wrote:
Weekly rate Santee Lakes 1 dog = $40/day
Weekly rate Santa Fe Park 1 dog = $33/day

Santee Lakes dogs $1 per day each
Sante Fe Park dogs $3.25 per day each

Unless you plan on heading over to La Jolla every morning during 6 to 9 a.m. rush hour there is no problem at all getting from Santee Lakes to La Jolla.

Santa Fe Park is okay for what it is for the price but believe me you will be doing yourself a favor to stay over at Santee Lakes.

And you won't need earplugs.

Are you saying one would need earplugs at Santa Fe? If so, why?

Rob

Santa Fe Park sits right next to heavily traveled Interstate 5 and there is a set of railroad tracks there too. It also is not an easy place to enter and exit since it sits a mile or two down a couple of strip mall streets and brings you out to a real busy area. I don't mean to imply that the place would be a disaster but compared to Santee Lakes which is a park like quiet picturesque setting there just is no comparison.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
More To See wrote:

Unless you plan on heading over to La Jolla every morning during 6 to 9 a.m. rush hour there is no problem at all getting from Santee Lakes to La Jolla.

Santa Fe Park is okay for what it is for the price but believe me you will be doing yourself a favor to stay over at Santee Lakes.

Are you saying one would need earplugs at Santa Fe? If so, why?

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I would also say Santee Lakes. There is a Costco nearby, (with gas station) and highway 52 is now complete from Highway 67 all the way to I-5 and to PCH in La Jolla. It really is a short drive, when it is not rush hour traffic.

Rush hour can take some time, but even then the traffic will average say 30 MPH the whole distance.

When I lived there, I would take Mission Valley Road to avoid highway 52 in the mornings, going into San Diego around I-8 and I-5. Another way to get into LaJolla that seems to work for me was taking I8 to the Sea World exit, and then north on city streets to LaJolla. It was kinda heavy going under I 805 and near I 5, but after that, it seemed like smooth sailing. .

Talk to your relatives for 'shortcuts' around the traffic.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, everyone. aerbus32 and a fellow Escapee both recommended Santa Fe RV Park. Our new Passport America membership will get us 50% off and it's only 17 minutes from my brother-in-law's place. I like to keep it military when possible - usually very good campgrounds and great rates. Didn't work out that way this time.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
Santa Fe RV park should be closer to your budget. And definitely closer to La Jolla. Second recommendation would be Mission Bay RV. Chula Vista RV & Santee Lakes, both better parks, will pit you against heavy traffic congestion during commuter times. (We drove thru Admiral Baker last winter. OK.) Avoid Camperland, locally called Woodstock, unless you have a total disregard for neighbors.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for Santee Lakes

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to keep it military and on the beach check out Camp Pendleton in Oceanside.

It's a little pricey but we love Chula Vista RV Resort. It's across the water from Fiddler's Cove and a first class park.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Santee Lakes, it's about 20 minutes East of La Jolla in the foothills of San Diego. It gets positive reviews and the sites are spaced well. Easy access to the freeway and a straight shot to La Jolla, just stay away from rush hour times and you will be fine.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.