cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

planning trip to florida

bmet2000_sDW
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Florida for Christmas this year and would love to hear any suggestions ya'll might have on places to stay, things to see, places to go (and not go), must see's etc.

We are traveling in a 36ft TT for 2 weeks. 6 people, 2 dogs (yes it IS going to be a Christmas vacation to remember!)

We are leaving from Raleigh NC and hope to spend the first night in Savannah Ga.

We will spend Christmas Day in West Palm Beach with my sister and then hope to head to the Keys before making our way back home.

Ya'll helped us plan an very memorable and priceless trip Out West a few years ago and I know ya'll will have some good suggestions for this trip too!

We need some ideas on where to stay- especially in the Keys and things to see along the way. We plan to visit Miami beach, south beach and Key West for sure.

Thank you in advance and looking forward to your suggestions!
13 REPLIES 13

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
For the Keys,try Knights' Key CG. We stopped there last year on the way back from Blue Water a few days after xmas and had no issues getting in on the spur of the moment. This year, I made reservations in advance !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
As you may have read, finding a spot in the Keys will be darn difficult. I would like to suggest a park that is close to the keys and also close to Miami. It's called Miami Everglades Resort and is actually just north of Homestead, FL (about 7-8 miles) and southwest of Miami about 15+ miles. We stayed there for a week in 2013. They have a very nice pool and good activities. Their website is below.

http://www.miamicamp.com/
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Hello from the NC coast....Don't give up on the Keys ( State Parks ). We have been twice and both times reserved < 2 months out by getting cancellations. You just have to check often and be persistent. That being said we did make reservations this year 11 months out for the Christmas time frame because of specific plans to meet family and wanting a particular site selection. If you are a bit flexible with dates you may have a better chance. We never realized how popular the Keys were at Christmas.

On Savannah, we just came back yesterday and had a nice stay at Fort McCallister State Park. Large sites, about 10 miles off 95 at exit 90. Saw several deer, lots of birds, bunch of crazy racoons, and not many people.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
rfryer wrote:
I would also suggest St Augustine and the Kennedy Space Center.

Double ditto!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Better make reservations for the Keys!!!!!!
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have an RV park in mind for Savannah and you can drive another hour, we like Coastal Georgia RV Park in Brunswick GA. Paved pull thrus. In Florida if you look during the week you might be able to find openings for a few days in state parks. You may have to move around more. On weekends or holidays, try campgrounds near the freeway that caters to overnighters. (like KOA's).
If you have time, I would stop in St Augustine. Lots to see and do there. Hop on and hop off trolley all day pass. Try Anastasia State Park. Definitely see Cape Canaveral. Jetty Park is a good place to stay but might already be booked. Of course Key West. Enjoy your trip!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never been to the Keys and always wanted to, but have been to St Augustine and absolutely loved it. We camp in a B so your size might be an issue, but the park is absolutely gorgeous and the proximity to town can't be beat. Have a good trip!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Lot's of previous discussion. Search this Forum for various topics such as `snowbird' then search the results for `campground', `reservations', `activities', etc.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bmet2000
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at the 4 State Parks that have RV sites. All booked through April 2015.

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
ed6713 wrote:
The Keys.
If you don't already have campground reservations for the week after Christmas, you're probably out of luck. Most anything in the Keys for that timeframe books a year in advance.
Ed

x2

We just got back from a stay at Long Key SP. We tried to book something for Jan of Feb. Not much to chose from. Try the KOA near Key West. Pricy but they had a few opening. Be sure to call ahead. All State Parks are booked.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
I would also suggest St Augustine and the Kennedy Space Center.

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
The Keys.
If you don't already have campground reservations for the week after Christmas, you're probably out of luck. Most anything in the Keys for that timeframe books a year in advance.
Ed
๐Ÿ™‚

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on a day trip to Key West.

It is such a unique place that everyone should experience it at least once.

It is not kid friendly.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006