cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Playing guitars with new people while camping?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I keep thinking about taking my Acoustic Bass 4 string with me when ever we camp?

Hoping I might find people to jam with around the camp fire.

What is your experience with this plan?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
33 REPLIES 33

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
You need to follow bluegrass. Festivals in CGs are all over & the best part of them is the late night picking which can carry on till the sun comes up. Everyone is there for the same purpose so there is no complaining about noise though those who like to jam do tend to camp in certain areas.

Now that does sound cool!
With '85 Lance.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
If you don't mind my farts, I won't mind your bass.

Can you fart in the key of G?
With '85 Lance.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Find a bar and get some other musicians and jamb till the wee hours.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
My stand-up bass fiddle will not fit into the door of my trailer! And my blues harmonicas were hijacked by my son, who plays them a lot better than I do. I have built several pentatonic bass xylophones (in different keys) but rarely get a chance to play them. They are not easy to transport.

We boondock precisely because we search out silence. But if I could play guitar well, I would bring it and strum it by the campfire. My wife would sing, except that she refuses to do so.

I'm not sure where I am going with these comments. I think I mean to say to the OP that if you want to jam with folks you meet in campgrounds, it might happen once in a while, and I envy your ability to play well on a portable instrument. Go for it!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
I've always wanted to bring along my didgeridoo but it takes up way too much room in the rv. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now that's funny. I was traveling through the Northern California Redwood country on one of our many trips through that area and stopped to stretch our legs at one of the Grooves. While walking through the quiet grooves we suddenly heard the most God awful noises coming from some where up ahead. Upon investigating we found a fella that was trying to learn to play his Didgeridoo. He said he came out here to do it so he wouldn't bother anybody, I informed him he was going to have to get a whole lot farther off the road if that was his intent:)
Tinbender

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to follow bluegrass. Festivals in CGs are all over & the best part of them is the late night picking which can carry on till the sun comes up. Everyone is there for the same purpose so there is no complaining about noise though those who like to jam do tend to camp in certain areas.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
the DW is a singer/songwriter and brings her backpack guitar when camping.
she only does when camping with family or friends. she came from a camping family where she played and sang for them, all her life. so it's expected when camping with her family, even after 50 years.

when it's just us, she doesn't bring it.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Jebster
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping in Indiana last spring, and someone had a bass, electric bass. Thought about bringing my drums but didn't think it would go over too well.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johno02 wrote:
I think its great, but like others said, there is too much of "too loud, and too late" Personally, I could sit and listen to a good acoustic and a good singer all night. Might even add in a bit of background myself. If its good music, and not just a lot of noise like most of the music you hear nowadays.

Double ditto. Acoustic instruments, nonelectric are fine and in the right hands enjoyable, before nine pm. After that it's treading in the realm of irritating.

My experience in 45+ years of camping:
Most folks camping on weekends are looking for nature's sounds as an antidote to human noise where they live.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
I always bring a ukulele. I am fond of the Outdoor Ukulele and Martin OXK as they do well in heat and humidity.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
I like music too, but I prefer the sounds of nature when camping - camping in the woods that is, not as much of an issue in a commercial RV park. There is enough going on in an RV park that a little impromptu music wouldn't be that much of a distraction as long as it was kept within reason.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
This thread reminds me of a co-worker's comment about how when she and her husband camp, he'll bring out his guitar and play and sing in the evenings. She always insists that he is quiet and you can't hear it beyond their campsite. Yet, she also always claims that other campers constantly come up to their campsite because they think it's a radio playing...

Now, I have camped with musicians, I have spent nights around the campfire singing, etc. The one thing I can say is that if someone comes up because they think you have the radio on, it's not a compliment to your talents. They are coming to tell you to turn the darn thing off. (And I've heard him play and he does NOT know how to temper his playing for a quiet setting - he plays as if he's in a beer joint regardless of when or where he is. And, because he let his teeth rot out, you just hear toothless rumbling.)

I love music, but I don't want to hear American Idol rejects when I'm camping... actually, I don't want to hear American Idol winners when I'm camping. And I REALLY don't want to hear dueling banjos.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
We would love it as long as you don't mind us pulling up a couple of chairs to listen.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind my farts, I won't mind your bass.