cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Re-filling fresh water tank while I dry camping

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize if this has been addressesd previously but I found no threads for my specific issue. We spend one week annually in Cade's Cove. To add water to our fresh water tank mid stay is a pain. We haven't found a good way to refill with our 5 gallon containers without spillage and aggravation. Yes, we could break camp and visit the refill station but we choose not to. Anyone have any "handy dandy" cheap ideas.
28 REPLIES 28

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
I just use the antifreeze inlet on the RV to suck water from any container and fill the rv. Set the city water inlet to fill, open up the antifreeze valve and turn on the RV water pump and it will draw in the water while you sit and relax with a ice cold beer. Better than watching grass grow.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It took me a minute to understand why you mentioned the teenaged daughters! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

elkbelch
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I did, I have two teenage daughters and a bad back. I had to do something. 35 gallon tote from a supply store and some lumber. Gravity does the rest. When traveling the tank sits empty in the lower position and when ready to haul water just move the deck up.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nxuFqWml.jpg[/IMG]
Elkbelch
2014 Ram 3500 CTD CC DRW
2011 Jayco Eagle 30.5 RLS
A teen, a tween and a Boo (crazy yellow lab)

FloridaFlyer86
Explorer
Explorer
I did the jug thing for a while too while full timing.. but after a few months of that I got tired of driving to the nearest creek every few days, soo... took 2 , 275 gallon IBC s from a local auto wrecking yard, bought an old 4 x 8 flatbed trailer, got out the MIG welder, welded new crossmembers, tiedown eyes, and beefier tongue mount on to it, and using a 120v pump from TSC with my Honda 2000W inverter gen I could fill that 275 gal tank in about 30 mins. My girlfriend and I got about 2 weeks out of that 275 gal tank, and the second tank was used for blackwater - took about 2 months to fill up that baby.
I can get a photo of the creation if anyone is interested.
2009 Keystone Cougar 29BHS
Home is where it's parked

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Campgrounds to Boondocking
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 6 gallon wheeled water tank (with a largish opening) and a small aquarium pump. Fill the tank, wheel it back to the camp site, drop the pump in and plug it into the inverter, and off it goes.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We just use the 6 gallon jugs from Walmart and I lift it and pour it in. No issues. It's only a little heavy at first. Gets a lot easier and lighter as you go.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
We use the 7 gal blue jugs for extra water on longer boonie trips. I purchased one of these to pump from jug to trailer tank:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastman-Outdoors-Cooking-Oil-Filter-Pump-Battery-Operated-Turkey-Fryers-/321230207700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acacffad4

You might be able to find locally, maybe for more moola though!! When I got mine, 4 yrs ago, I paid aboot $7. They have gone up a bit!!

I just take a folding camp table (those cheap white ones), set the jug on it and the pump will empty it in about 6-7 mins. Don't think the pump will lift from the ground, and the hose is too short, so the table. Lifting the full jug is no worse than loading into the truck when heading out. Batteries usually last a camping season. Simple and cheap also.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

RDS33
Explorer
Explorer
The blue seven gallon plastic jug that is sold at Walmart can be fitted with a hose. Take out the valve in the cap and replace with a 3/4" pipe thread hose barb. Put on a short section of hose and insert in the fill hole, lift and pour. I would look for something to place the jug on so you don't have to hold it up.
That's about as cheep as you can get, and not spill half pouring into a funnel.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We use a 'drill pump' on a rechargeable drill. available at any hardware store for under $15. You have the hoses, choose how you will carry the potable water. A drill pump will do the job.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
We use empty 5 gallon water jugs like from an office water dispenser. Fill them, put the cap on and transport back to the site. We have a large funnel that my wife holds, and I pour the water into it. Works like a charm. Only problem would be if you couldn't manage to hold the jugs when they are full for some reason or another.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
lgarcia wrote:
You said handy dandy, so here goes. My daughter was visiting on short notice and wanted to stay in the TT. We don't have an outside hose. If we had known she was coming, we would have filled up the holding tank at the last campground. So...

Kroger was closing out their summer items. I picked up two 2 1/2 gallon plastic watering cans at half price - about 8 bucks total. I took off the plastic diffusers, filled them with the sprayer at the kitchen sink, and did a few 5 gallon trips across the yard.

They are easier to hold up to the filler tube than the bigger water jugs, imho, because of the 2 handles at the top and the side.

Mine are like the one pictured with a little longer nozzle, but you can find some with very long nozzles as well.

WOW! you can't get simpler than this. very clever and so simple.

Ed

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
michael8rc wrote:
We carry extra water in jugs and use this funnel to put the water in the fresh water tank.

Funnel

Yep, this funnel is great! Can also be used to add a sanitizing mixture ๐Ÿ™‚
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

weakknees
Explorer
Explorer
When boondocking I will carry as much as 90 gallons of extra water. I use 15 gallon plastic barrels, on which I have installed a cheap ball valve with a hose connection on them. I pump it in with a extra rv water pump.
2004 2500HD Duramax-Allison, long bed crew cab.
2002 28' Thor fifth wheel (a good one)