cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations Great Basin NP to Rocky Mountain NP

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
I am having trouble trying to figure out a portion of our road trip; specifically from Great Basin NP to Rocky Mountain NP. We have 3 days/2 nights for this portion of the trip, leaving Great Basin on a Monday around noon (after our cave tour) and arriving at RMNP on Wednesday, by mid afternoon.
Debating whether to stay in 2 different places overnight, or go about half way on Monday and stay somewhere for 2 nights, giving us a full day on Tuesday for some touring.
Since we will be dry camping at Rocky Mountain, prefer hook-ups (at least partial) during this portion.

PS....I don't think we want to go to MOAB as it will be too hot when we are there.

Any and all input appreciated!
8 REPLIES 8

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! And accsys, that's a good idea about the adapter; definitely going to get one.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Cali-MinnieWinnie wrote:
Thanks everyone. I was actually leaning towards a big driving day and staying at James Robb SP, Fruita section for 2 nights. We have 30 amp and all the full hookup sites that are available are 50 amp. Is the campground electric set up to accept 30 amp at the 50amp sites? Anyone have a pic of the setup?

Most, but not all, pedestals that have a 50 amp connection also have a 30 amp connection but get you a 50/30 adapter and you will never worry about that again. They are available at just about any place that sells RV supplies, even Walmart. It can also be very useful if the 30 amp connection is old and worn but the pedestal also has a 50 amp connection. You will love a trip to the Colorado National Monument!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I was actually leaning towards a big driving day and staying at James Robb SP, Fruita section for 2 nights. We have 30 amp and all the full hookup sites that are available are 50 amp. Is the campground electric set up to accept 30 amp at the 50amp sites? Anyone have a pic of the setup?

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
No question in my mind... I'd camp at James Robb SP, just south of Fruita CO, and spend the day in Colorado National Monument. Elevation is mostly in the 5000'-6000' range so it should be cooler than Moab. You get all of the sandstone color, but minus the arches. If you have a decent camera and tripod, plan to snap some photos at dusk from one of the northernmost overlooks of the town lights far below.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Steinaker State Park, Just north of Vernal, UT gets good reviews and has FHU if you can make it that far the first day. There is also a KOA there. That would give you a day to explore Dinosaur National Monument or Flaming Gorge if you wanted.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Junction and Montrose CO are both decent options. Not sure you could get there in just one afternoon from Great Basin, but for a Tuesday overnight they could work. KOAs in both towns are nice, with shady spots & at least a little space between you & your neighbor.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
Late August

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
What time of year will you be traveling?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."