cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Red Rocks Amphitheater (Morrison, CO) to West Glacier

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Glacier but always from Yellowstone. We're looking at making two stops in between and any suggestions on CGs would be great. We're also looking for the best, most scenic route between Morrison, CO and West Glacier. Thanks for any help.
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha
6 REPLIES 6

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43,

That was exactly the kind of advice we were looking for. Thanks so much for the valuable advice. We're spending June in SW CO and Utah. My daughter will be joining us in Morrison to make the trek to Glacier. Her boyfriend's family lives in Littleton. Thanks again!

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
chompchomp wrote:
We've been to Glacier but always from Yellowstone. We're looking at making two stops in between and any suggestions on CGs would be great. We're also looking for the best, most scenic route between Morrison, CO and West Glacier. Thanks for any help.

We just did that trip in September-we live just outside Morrison- and I agree with Thom about using I25 to Montana. It may not be the most scenic but that trip is around 1000-1100 miles so IMO some interstate driving is a necessity. We stopped the first night in Sheridan, Wy. which was about 440 miles, plenty for us in a day. The second day we traveled to Deer Lodge Mt, another 400 mile leg. There we spent 2 nights as a break. There is a prison museum that also has a large car collection, plus a couple of other museums to see if interested. From there it is about 200 miles to West Glacier and we took secondary roads to Montana 83 and traveled on it north to Columbia Falls. It is very scenic as it travels thru forests past some small towns and lakes. It is a good road with places to stop if you want to explore.

dufferdj
Explorer
Explorer
While at Elk Creek CG just outside of Grand Lake, CO be sure to have breakfast at "The Fat Cat". Their weekend breakfast buffet will last you all day long. Also make sure to have your camera ready as moose frequent both the campground and the town.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
chompchomp wrote:
Buskipper,

Sorry, let me clarify. We're headed out at the beginning of June, returning to Florida at the end of July and here's our itinerary in nights:

Durango 5
Monument Valley 2
Zion 5
Bryce 4
Goblin 1
Dead Horse/Moab 5
Gore Creek (Vail) 4
Elk Creek (Grand Lake) CO 4

Then we're catching a concert at Red Rocks for two nights where we'll meet friends and then we wagon train the long haul together to Glacier. So it's not like we're not seeing stuff. It's just that the run to Glacier is just that-- the only real haul besides out and back from Florida. Glacier is our favorite and we'll spend two weeks there. I still like most scenic route, and I'm just looking for two overnighters to break up the drive. Hope that clears up our intent.

Based on the above additional information, I'd suggest just taking I-25 north to Montana. One of your stops could be at either Guernsey State Park or Glendo State Park, both with easy access from the interstate. Between Cheyenne and Casper.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
Buskipper,

Sorry, let me clarify. We're headed out at the beginning of June, returning to Florida at the end of July and here's our itinerary in nights:

Durango 5
Monument Valley 2
Zion 5
Bryce 4
Goblin 1
Dead Horse/Moab 5
Gore Creek (Vail) 4
Elk Creek (Grand Lake) CO 4

Then we're catching a concert at Red Rocks for two nights where we'll meet friends and then we wagon train the long haul together to Glacier. So it's not like we're not seeing stuff. It's just that the run to Glacier is just that-- the only real haul besides out and back from Florida. Glacier is our favorite and we'll spend two weeks there. I still like most scenic route, and I'm just looking for two overnighters to break up the drive. Hope that clears up our intent.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
chompchomp wrote:

"Best" - "Most Scenic" - "Two Stops" - Sorry but in my head it just does not Compute, for a drive of "Morrison, CO to West Glacier".

Just TOO MUCH to see and do to in that time frame - will be interesting to see haw other advise.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach