cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Red tide in the Gulf Coast Florida

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone thinking about changing their winter plans because of the red tide in Florida? We have reservations in the Sarasota area near the water and are primarily concerned about the airborne toxins.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl
10 REPLIES 10

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all comments. Even the one about Google. I just couldn't resist being a little sarcastic. No change in our plans. We're wintering in Siesta Key.

Daryl

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
fchammer1 wrote:
I firmly believe that disparaging remarks about Florida in general, and red tide specifically, is a conspiracy spread by those in the Rio Grand Valley to coax people to winter in a place that is colder, windier, and less conducive to the enjoyment of a cold drink under a beach umbrella while a soft, warm breeze wafts over ones body!

Are you still out there? I was afraid the Hurricanes, floods, NO-SEE-UM's and Red Tide of Florida got you. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Lovin the lush tropical Rio Grande Valley at 1/3 the cost. :B

Good shop talk boys....

TheLuvShack- Red tide is just a way of life. In the Texas Gulf coast it normally stops by the end of November when cooler waters show up. Summer people are mostly gone and Snowbirds haven't shown up yet. Those that do will experience some coughing and watery eyes if you get too close to the water.

Unless you're right on the water, or have a compromised health system I would not worry about it very much. On the other hand if you have a dog(s) that you like to walk the beach with then I would do some due diligence on learning what could happen to their health.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
fchammer1 wrote:
I firmly believe that disparaging remarks about Florida in general, and red tide specifically, is a conspiracy spread by those in the Rio Grand Valley to coax people to winter in a place that is colder, windier, and less conducive to the enjoyment of a cold drink under a beach umbrella while a soft, warm breeze wafts over ones body!

Are you still out there? I was afraid the Hurricanes, floods, NO-SEE-UM's and Red Tide of Florida got you. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Lovin the lush tropical Rio Grande Valley at 1/3 the cost. :B
pawatt

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Google: red tide

Holy ****!
This is terrrific!
When did they invent Google?
Thanks 2oldmen!

Daryl

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Google: red tide
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
RT is not airborne unless it comes from wave action mist. It is not airborne just because it's in the water or because there are little waves breaking on the beach.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
While airborne RT smells bad and can cause watering eyes, it's not dangerous unless you have already have respiratory issues like asthma. It has caused many cancellations in my area, and this is the worst outbreak since 2005.

September is the normal start of RT season, so it really never ended this year. The good news is that it moves around with the wind and tides, so there are times when its blown offshore or up or down the coast, leaving periods where it can't be detected.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
The water temp in the winter should make it a non issue.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We have red tide around here all the time. It has no effect on the air unless there's mist from waves. Otherwise, you have to injest the water itself (or contaminated seafood) to be affected.
We walk along the beach without issue.