cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reservations for popular campgrounds

VAHillbilly
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried multiple times to book a national park campground when the booking window opens and found the sites already booked. I have tried to time it to the second but no luck. I suspect that there must be either an automated system to book the first nanosecond the window opens or some insider booking.

How do these sites get booked so quickly?
24 REPLIES 24

SuburbanHauler3
Explorer
Explorer
I have some friends that always stay at Carlsbad State Beach every June. They are online and booking at 12:01 am on Jan 1st. That place fills up that fast.
2004 2500 Suburban LT 4x4, 6.0l 4.10's
1998 Fleetwood Terry 26A
There's 5 of us and we all ride.
KJ6RST

VAHillbilly
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
I hear a lot of people saying it is almost impossible to book some national and state parks because they are already booked. Well then, it's not impossible. Somebody got in and booked them. I have never found a commercial campground to be cheaper than a public one. But then I have never been camping in CA.

VAHillbilly, I think you should have tried booking on July 8th for your 6 month window for Jan 9th.

I did try yesterday and today and even though the specific site showed available for January 9, I was not able to book the site until a set time today. One second after that set time the site showed booked.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I hear a lot of people saying it is almost impossible to book some national and state parks because they are already booked. Well then, it's not impossible. Somebody got in and booked them. I have never found a commercial campground to be cheaper than a public one. But then I have never been camping in CA.

VAHillbilly, I think you should have tried booking on July 8th for your 6 month window for Jan 9th.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Many of us have been through the same thing as the OP. It's just a matter of ALOT of people trying to get too few popular spots.

Keep trying...and check often for cancellations.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
In Ca. it almost impossible to get into state campgrounds at least the popular ones. Here in SoCal anything on the beach that is a state park is $60.00 a night with no hookups. I have started using county parks and in this area there are some really nice ones. They are cheaper and usually have at the least electric and water, most have FHU.
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped trying to get into the Nat'l and State Park campsites. Instead we stay outside the park at private RV parks and drive into the park daily to see the sights.

VAHillbilly
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the campground I am trying to get reservations are reservation only and do not have first come first served sites. Recreation.gov reservation site shows availability and allow 14 day reservations which can be booked 6 months from the date of the first reservation. For instance I tried to book a site 6 months from today (July 9) for January 9, 2016. The site showed a couple of sites available and the second the window opened I tried to book the site and the response was "no inventory available" and when I checked availability I found the campsite had already been booked for January 9 thru January 22.

This is very frustrating as I have tried this multiple times and found I was a fraction of a second late in attempting to reserve. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I don't think so as I have used the same reservation site previously for booking other less popular campgrounds.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
The site might have been booked by someone for several days before you wanted it, thus it showed up as booked. Say you want Jul 16-23rd, someone else might have it booked for July 12-19th.

I think this answer is spot on - I got into Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone last fall by checking back often
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
The site might have been booked by someone for several days before you wanted it, thus it showed up as booked. Say you want Jul 16-23rd, someone else might have it booked for July 12-19th.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
They use a similar system to most hotels which updates immediately. Remember the electrons inside of the IC's are moving in virtually nano-seconds. So yes it happens that fast.

However most of the parks do have space that comes available each day as people leave early or dont show. Some parks keep a percentage for first come first served. Try spending the night just outside the park and get to the window early.