cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rock Crusher Canyon RV Resort

klaughter
Explorer
Explorer
this resort is located in Crystal River Florida. Has anyone stayed the winter there? If so, what are the attractions?
Keith & Wanda ๐Ÿ™‚
10 REPLIES 10

klaughter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the comments. We have arrived here at Rock Crusher RV and this place is very nice. Large sites with vegetation. Reminds me of a state park but with all the hookups, cable and wifi. It has a great screen pool and recreation room. People here are so friendly. We love it!
Keith & Wanda ๐Ÿ™‚

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The attractions are moderate winter weather and peace. Two of my brothers retired in the area. The older one golfed, read, and worked on genealogy during his brief retirement. The younger one hangs out with friends and fishes golf balls out of the water hazards in his country club resort. It is a place for relaxation.

Tampa is about an hour away. Orlando is about an hour and a half. We have cousins living 1-2 hours from that area, but our cousins wouldn't be your attractions. One of my cousins spends most of his Florida time riding motorcycles around SW Florida, if that works as an attraction for you. Fishing in the Gulf, or waters off the Gulf, is about 30 minutes away.

Beaches start about an hour's drive down the coast, but the major west coast tourist attractions start south of the Tampa area, about three hours to Sarasota, four hours to Fort Myers. For the real action on the eastern coast, five to six hours to the Fort Lauderdale-Miami-Miami Beach area. Being from a generation that traveled to learn the ambiance of different places, I don't really understand what folks mean when they ask about "attractions" because for my younger sisters and my children that usually means theme parks. Those would be in Orlando area.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

LindaD
Explorer
Explorer
I've been there several times, very nice, wooded park. Not an area for beach lovers.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We stay the winter at Rock Crusher and plan to be there for 4 months again this year. We like the park for its state park-like feel. Lots of trees/vegetation. Some sites are quite private. The pool is nice and, as mentioned, there are plenty of activities if you're so inclined.

The Crystal River area isn't a Florida beach kinda place, although there is a small beach west of town a ways. There are several people in the park that kayak as the area has some great places for doing that. Fishing is also a favorite for many. I like to golf and there is a Rock Crusher league where we have 40+ players January-March. Bicycling and motorcycling are also activities some in the park take part in, although you do have to motor to some of the bike trails.

As mention, there are some nice eateries in the area. Crystal River isn't too far from Tampa if you take the toll road down there. We like horse racing and Tampa Bay Downs is just over an hour away. Ocala is about 30-40 minutes away. We just like the more rural atmosphere of the area with a LOT less traffic than further south.

We've met a lot of great folks there, but you need to get into the activities at the clubhouse or find ways to meet those friendly people. The upper level (up the hill) has a campfire late Thursday afternoons and while we don't live up there everyone is always welcome. We usually go because we meet so many people from around the country. A good, friendly bunch.

If you're interested for a long-term stay you might have some difficulty, especially for February, although it's not always full. Weekends can get busy though. Most people that stay there seem to like it.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
They have an outdoor venue that hosts concerts every once in a while too. Right near the campground but not close enough to disturb you. Its not every weekend or anything like that. My sis in law lives across the road from there a 1/2 mile away from the campground.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there a few days in late March. We loved the park - great pool, open every day. Nice, rural setting. The park is beautifully well kept and they had a good activity list for snowbirds. However, we love the beach and the coastline near there isn't conducive to beaches. We also love a great variety of restaurants, and just didn't find that many options.
Cardinal 33TSLE

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at this park a couple of times, but only short term. It is very nice with a real variety of sites - plenty of vegetation. The only drawback to us is that it is too far north to have nice warm temps all winter.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed a week in early 2016. Nice park, lots of Michiganders.

There are a couple of sections. There's a section that's wide open and in the sun and another section that's wooded. We stayed in the wooded area and it was pleasant.

If you have a car (Enterprise will also pick you up there) be sure to hit Charlie's Fish House for dinner.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We only stayed a week there but I liked the park its self. Nice pool and club house and there are activities scheduled. The area is rural really and focused on fishing and the Gulf and boating. We are going back again the end of November for a week.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Manatees, several good resturants prices vary. Fishing. We didn't spend the winter but did spend 6 weeks in both the spring and fall. DW likes it more relaxed than other parts of Florida.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu