cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Park Tenants Rights in South Carolina

balfre1946
Explorer
Explorer
What rights do a RV tenant have in a South Carolina..we have a very grumpy landlord, we follow all the rules but he is harrassing us. Can he just throw us out for any reason he wants?
29 REPLIES 29

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
My only comment is why would anyone want to stay where they are not wanted or are being harassed? The wonderful thing about this lifestyle is you can pick up and leave on an hours notice and move on down the road to someone who will appreciate you staying and paying rent……If you've paid thru the end of the month or till a certain date then bite your lip and ride it out…..then LEAVE!
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

cjalphonso
Explorer
Explorer
In the state of SC to evict one needs a 15 day warning then it takes about 15 days for the police to actually evict. However, in the rental agreement it is allowed to give the warning in the agreement negating having to wait the 15 days. The landlord can immediately file for eviction and the cops will put a notice of eviction on your door then show up 15 days later. They will remove you and your belongings, putting them on the curb, from the premises and then send you the bill. It definitely gives the upper hand to the landowner as it should.

Ron8877
Explorer
Explorer
ford coupe wrote:
almost sounds like situation we have in our park in florida. park was sold old owner very sneaky didn't tell anyone they had sold,still don't know who to pay rent to,old owners staying in park till end of june-i don't trust them but we don;t want to make bad impression to new owners,any suggestions?

The owner of the park was under no requirement to inform you that they were selling. Pay your rent to the people running the park and get a receipt. You don't know what the agreement is nor is it really any of your concern.
Ron
Ron & Ali Workentin
www.ali1257.blogspot.com

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
ford coupe wrote:
almost sounds like situation we have in our park in florida. park was sold old owner very sneaky didn't tell anyone they had sold,still don't know who to pay rent to,old owners staying in park till end of june-i don't trust them but we don;t want to make bad impression to new owners,any suggestions?

Put the amount of the rent in escrow. If you pay the old owners get a written receipt showing what month you are paying for.

Be patient and play it by ear.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
balfre1946 wrote:
What rights do a RV tenant have in a South Carolina..we have a very grumpy landlord, we follow all the rules but he is harrassing us. Can he just throw us out for any reason he wants?

Short answer is yes as long as he does not discriminate against you because of race, creed, religion, disability or sexual orientation.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
balfre1946 wrote:

If you're a recreational RVer, you have just one right/remedy: that of movin' on down the road.

If you're long term (anywhere from twenty days on up depending on State), you're covered by that State's Landlord Tenant Laws .
Here's a link to South Carolina's

Do be aware that if you're long term, the place you're in probably knows the law well enough to have devised a written agreement that complies with it and at the same time preserves all the rights of eviction necessary to rid themselves of folks they don't want around.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

balfre1946
Explorer
Explorer
SECTION 27-47-530. Grounds for eviction; notice of eviction; sale of manufactured home left on lot following eviction.

(A) An owner may evict a resident for one or more of the following reasons:

(1) failure to comply with local, state, or federal laws governing manufactured homes after he receives written notice of noncompliance and has had a reasonable opportunity to remedy the violation;

(2) engaging in repeated conduct that interferes with the quiet enjoyment of the park by other residents;

(3) noncompliance with a provision of the rental agreement or park regulations and failure to remedy the violation within fourteen days after written notice by the owner. If the remedy requires longer than fourteen days, the owner may allow the resident in good faith to extend the time to a specified date;

(4) not paying rent within five days of its due date;

(5) noncompliance with a law or a provision in the rental agreement or park regulations affecting the health, safety, or welfare of other residents in the park or affecting the physical condition of the park;

(6) wilfully and knowingly making a false or misleading statement in the rental agreement or application;

(7) taking of the park or the part of it affecting the resident's lot by eminent domain;

(8) other reason sufficient under common law.

(B) Notwithstanding Section 27-37-100, a writ of ejectment may not issue until ten days after a verdict for the plaintiff except for eviction pursuant to subsection (A)(5).

(C) If a manufactured home remains on the lot twenty days after the resident has been evicted, the procedure in Section 29-15-10 may be commenced in order to sell the home in a commercially reasonable sale at public auction. The manufactured home owner or resident is not prohibited from moving the home before the day of the sale; however, he must pay any filing fee or advertising costs incurred for initiating the procedure in Section 29-15-10.

HISTORY: 1991 Act No. 135, Section 1; 1998 Act No. 382, Section 4.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most of the time, if you don't have a written agreement, then it is month-to-month. You can leave any time and he can tell you to leave at the end of the rent month. I am not a lawyer tho.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is it he is harassing you about and what form is the harassment? I would think that without some form of written contract your rights are limited.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bigdogger
Explorer II
Explorer II
In many states, after you stay a certain length of time you will fall under landlord/tenant laws, not the innkeeper laws that would apply to short stays. That will make it more difficult for a park to toss you, but they probably still can by giving notice. They probably also can get you out just as easily by raising the rent to a level you will force you out. There is also no law the prevents a landlord from being a jerk. My guess is once you start a confrontation, they will make your life miserable and win in the end.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
After you win whatever you are trying to win, will you still want to stay there with a landlord that lost?

Even without winning or losing, I wonder why they want to stay now.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
After you win whatever you are trying to win, will you still want to stay there with a landlord that lost?

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Landlord tenant agreement reads?
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I am certainly NOT a lawyer. But:

What is the term of your stay?

Do you have a written, signed lease?

There should be an landlord/tenant type of agency that will help you with this question. Check the yellow pages. Many states have one.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS