cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv parks Amarillo, Carlsbad , San Antonio

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for rv park recommendations with full hookups in Amarillo , Carlsbad, and San Antonio. We are headed that way in a week. We are also probally going to be looking for a rv park just out of Dallas toward Amarillo for an overnight.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990
25 REPLIES 25

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
When staying in Palo Duro Canyon State Park there are showers and restrooms available to take some of the load. They have dump stations if you feel the need. I like Campsites in Juniper.The road in and out can be a little intimidating to some but I didn't have a problem towing the car.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying Amarillo a few days to visits Palo during canyon and other site in the area. Would love to stay at palo Durocher but it doesn't appear to have full hookups. With a wife and 3 kids full hookups are pretty much required for anything longer than a one night stay.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Bob806 wrote:
Amarillo...go to Palo Duro State Park, you won't be disappointed.

I was there 2 weeks ago when it snowed 3-5 in and had over 80 mph wind gust. Just before it hit moved to Oasis RV park at exit 60.
Yes Palo Duro is great when the weather is good. Had wild turkeys in the campground. If you have time but to far off the main road for an overnight.
Bill

Oops, I got excited when I saw the word Amarillo, and didn't see he was just looking for an overnight stop.

We did a fall trip to Texas last year, and Palo Duro was simply amazing. I need to get back there again someday.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob806 wrote:

I was there 2 weeks ago when it snowed 3-5 in and had over 80 mph wind gust. Just before it hit moved to Oasis RV park at exit 60.
Yes Palo Duro is great when the weather is good. Had wild turkeys in the campground. If you have time but to far off the main road for an overnight.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Brantley Dam State Park at Carlsbad. Water and electric. There is a dump station on the road in.
I need some wild

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
If the Caverns is your primary objective, I don't mind recommending the RV Park right in the town of Carlsbad. I know it is not the best, but it is the closest and that is where we stayed, and that is where I would go to stay again for a one day visit to the caverns.

If you are planning a longer visit that might change things, but I did not find the park in town to be that bad. It is certainly not a "destination park," but it saved us a lot of time and allowed a one day visit to Carlsbad Caverns on our way to California.

kstanton
Explorer
Explorer
We also stayed at Travelers World in San Antonio - very nice. As already mentioned it's on the Missions Bike Path and across the street from the bus line. Very easy to get to the river walk area without using your vehicle. In Carlsbad we stayed at AAA Whites City RV Park. We had an early tour and only stayed one night. It was okay for our purposes as it is just 7 miles from the Carlsbad Caverns National Park Visitor Center. Not much in Whites City. We used the RV parking lot at the caverns then drove on toward San Antonio that afternoon after our tours.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Another option for Carlsbad is Brantley Lake State Park. That's where we stay. Do you need full hookups for a couple nights?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Brandon327 wrote:
How far is the carlsbad koa from the caverns. The carvers are why we are going to Carlsbad.

The KOA is about 20 miles north of the town of Carlsbad. The caverns are about 25 miles south of the town. An easy drive. And I am guessing you will just do it one day. So not bad.
There are other RV parks in Carlsbad, but get so-so reviews on rvparkreviews.com. But probably OK for a night or two. I would not recommend the RV park in White's City at the cavern road entrance. We did not stay there, but reviews are pretty bad, and it looks less than desirable from the road. But it is convenient to the caverns.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon327 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am not sure how far we will get on the first day of the drive toward Amarillo. Dallas is 8 hours from here and we won't get to leave home until about 10 am. What about the Amarillo rv ranch ? How far is the carlsbad koa from the caverns. The carvers are why we are going to Carlsbad.

Where are you coming from?
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Another recommendation for Oasis RV Park and Travelers World.
If you travel with dogs and want to take the all day tour of San Antonio, that picks you up at the office, there was a lady in the park that for a nominal fee come to your RV feed and walk your dogs.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am not sure how far we will get on the first day of the drive toward Amarillo. Dallas is 8 hours from here and we won't get to leave home until about 10 am. What about the Amarillo rv ranch ? How far is the carlsbad koa from the caverns. The carvers are why we are going to Carlsbad.

JColeman
Explorer
Explorer
Nice little quiet country park on south west side of San Antonio, Hidden Valley RV Park. Easy on and off the Interstate 35 or loop 410. Only 15 minutes to downtown but feels miles away. They have nice pull thrus on the private creek but we prefer the "top of the valley" sites that back up to the trees.